One, two, three little redfoots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddled

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Either her cherryhead males crossbred with the northern females, or she did put it in the regular redfoots category... I forgot to mention that Mater has extra scutes, so maybe that's why he went in there and I missed that part? I'm waiting for her response, we'll see what she says. Madkins, do you have any pictures of those tortoises? Sorry to bug you, but the curiosity bug has bit me! :D

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Mystery solved! I guess he does have a little bit of cherryhead in him :)

Hi Maria,
I remember you and Mater! So nice to hear from you!
I would bet the farm that Mater's dad is Dusty. Dusty was given to me as a Cherryhead but I don't think he's 100% Cherryhead so I keep him with the regular Redfoot. He has a dark plastron like a Cherryhead, but his head color has more of a defined pattern than a Cherryhead should have. Looks like Mater has a lot of Cherryhead in him, eventhough he's not from a Cherryhead mother.
He looks great Maria. You are doing an excellent job caring for hm.
I'm so happy he's stolen your heart. They are such wonderful little guys. Most folks don't know how much fun they are and how much personality they have.
Thanks for the pics! I really enjoyed seeing the little guy again!

Vicki
http://tortoiseyard.com

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I thought they were calling that form the "Brazilian" form Mark. It does match that one more than the Cherryheads. Also if you look at Vicky's pictures. She has one of a female that got tipped over (mrs. slocombe). She looks very much like the "Brazilian" form.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Now... if the 'Amazon Brazilian' is sort of in-between the Northern and 'cherryhead', then that sort of shoots the idea that cherryheads are a subspecies in the foot. I wish I had the resources to study that more!

Muddled- the photo I referred to is in Vinke and Vetter's book "South American Tortoises". p 72. I am not sure it would be fair and legal to copy and post it.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
That is what I would've assumed if I had to say. Very nice animal.

Madkins007 said:
Now... if the 'Amazon Brazilian' is sort of in-between the Northern and 'cherryhead', then that sort of shoots the idea that cherryheads are a subspecies in the foot. I wish I had the resources to study that more!

Muddled- the photo I referred to is in Vinke and Vetter's book "South American Tortoises". p 72. I am not sure it would be fair and legal to copy and post it.

To be fair as in a number of instances in the animal kingdom there are intermediaries between sub populations. Unless you have the species being separated by great distances over time you will generally see gradual differences between close populations. They still do deserve to be seen as a distinct population.

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I need to do a little bit more research to understand about the different variations of redfoots. :) I'll look into that book!

Status
Not open for further replies.