One way to include edible vegetation in your indoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Tx
Start out with something that can hold soil.
View attachment 57296
I just use disposable plastic plates.
1.Poke a few holes to allow water to drain.
2.Fill half way with your choice of soil. I use organic gardening soil.
3.Add your choice of seeds. I used mix of broadleaf seeds from tortoisesupply.
4.Cover seeds with soil and lightly pack the soil until flush with the edge of the plate.
5.Add water. I choose to use hose water since my indoor water is filled through the softener.
6.Find yourself a plastic container with lid. Put the seed plates inside the container and cover to keep it humid while seeds germinate. I keep mine indoors.
7.Seed germination only took me 2 days. So after 2 days I uncover and watch my plants grow, watering when needed.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380494530.458989.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380494562.992663.jpg
This method worked on some dandelion seeds I found in my backyard. Sprouted in 4 days.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380494657.660058.jpg
8. Dig a hole in your substrate deep enough to fit your seed plate so it sits flush. I made sure to keep my seed plate under the UVB light so they can continue to grow while in the inclosure. Also this makes sure your tort gets some UVB rays since he'll have to sit under the UVB light while he enjoys his fresh plants.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380494964.294344.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380495012.361096.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380495033.611118.jpg
I believe this will also help keep the enclosure humid.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will help with humidity and you can even grow them in coconut coir. That's what I did when my leopard lived inside.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
such a great idea!! can't believe i never thought of it! i usually just sew the seeds right into the enclosures dirt. problems with that include the sprouts don't get too big because my tortoise tramples them, i can't mix the dirt up because of the roots, and once the grass is done, it just dies and the root system is still in tact leaving a carpet basically. my tortoise never touches anything i grow in her enclosure (grass and clover) but i still like to give her the option. thanks for the great idea!

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
I thought about planting directly in the substrate, but I didn't think it would work. I like using plates so I can make a few and swap them out easily if one gets mowed down.

stinax182 said:
such a great idea!! can't believe i never thought of it! i usually just sew the seeds right into the enclosures dirt. problems with that include the sprouts don't get too big because my tortoise tramples them, i can't mix the dirt up because of the roots, and once the grass is done, it just dies and the root system is still in tact leaving a carpet basically. my tortoise never touches anything i grow in her enclosure (grass and clover) but i still like to give her the option. thanks for the great idea!

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

Yeah I had the same concern too if I was to plant directly in the substrate. I didn't want to destroy what was growing if I had to change out the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.