one years old Russian tortoise not eating-please help:-(

Krischris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi, my Russian tortoise “Dusty” does not want to eat. I'm starting to get concerned! What should I do?
We have one-year-old Russian tortoise we bought for our son 3 months ago. He was happy and active, he was going outside and had plenty weeds to eat. Now it looks like he only wants to sleep. When he is out of cage so he can walk a little, he does not looks unhappy. I’m still giving him his bath every other day and he looks the same to me. He makes me worry- for last 5 days he did not eat anything. Last 2 weeks, he was only eating his favorite (hibiscus flowers and dandelions) and left everything else untouched. On no hibiscus or dandelions days, he was not interested of food. Now he does not eat at all. I tried different food from all the outside weeds, ice plats, roses to romaine lettuce, spring mix salad…..
He lives in wooden box (tortoise house from Zoo-med) we just recently moved closer to the window so he has sunlight in the morning. Our light is 100W Powersun UV. He is on the main floor so there is around 70 degree in the room. I also spray the bedding so it’s moist and he has a bath every other day for 20 min. (I bought him “Repti Ramp Bowl” from Zoo Med but he cannot climb in and out by himself yet.) I use Herptivite multivitamins ones a week and he was very interested of his cuttlebone, too. Is there something I should change? I’m not feeling comfortable to let him hibernate. I also read something about burrowing. To let him sleep for 3 days then give him bath and offer food. Another article said if the tortoises are not eating, they are getting ready to hibernate. Oh no! Please help.
Thank you!
Have a nice day!
Kris

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He may be trying to brumate/hibernate. Up the temps and the amount of hours you have his lights on.

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Hi, thank you. That is what I am trying to do but he goes to the "dark" side of his cage and he does not want to go out. I try to leave it open so there is more natural light. Should I buy more light? I am still trying to wake him up and soak him almost every day along with food choices.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian has a dark hide area. However, he still comes out to eat. The temps in the shed he stays in is 75-78 and he also has his own CHE and of course his basking light. I would add more light, a regular house bulb will add more heat and light. Have the lights come on at 7 a.m. and not go off until 7 or 9 p.m.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Interesting thread. I am fostering a Russian and trying to learn everything I can about him. Seems mine is trying to brumate as well. Mine hasn't eaten in days, but he does come out to bask.

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Interesting thread. I am fostering a Russian and trying to learn everything I can about him. Seems mine is trying to brumate as well. Mine hasn't eaten in days, but he does come out to bask.

Thank you for your time. I feel little bid better now. I added one more light and hope he will be more active soon.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I shifted mine'a lights, added more peat for digging, checked temps, added a pile of hay, and offer fresh greens daily. He's still not touched them and it has been 9 days. He's getting warm soaks every 3 days, and has urinated. Other than he appears to really enjoy his basking time, he seems worried and won't eat.

Any suggestions? He gets 14 hours of UV/Basking light a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The way to prevent them from trying to hibernate is longer days, warmer temps and brighter lighting. You might need to add a florescent tube for lighting and a CHE on a thermostat to raise the ambient day and night.

Take the ramped water bowl back. Those are tortoise death traps, and the person who sold it to you needs to be told as much. Instead get a 4" terra cotta plant saucer from the hardware store and sink it into the substrate.

I have been having good luck with daily or every other day warm soaks to keep mine up.

Here is a care sheet:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Well "holy warm soaks, Batman! Guess who's eating this morning!?!"

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Well "holy warm soaks, Batman! Guess who's eating this morning!?!"

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yay! Happy turtle dance ! [TURTLE][HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

jane_goblin

5 Year Member
I have two one-year-old Russian torts. They are in an indoor habitat. One of them, Chompy, stopped eating for about three days and still isn't eating. He also just sleeps all day under the half-log. I tried giving them different types of food too. When I bring them outside in the backyard they walk around though. My other one, Goblin, comes out under the basking light and just sits there but he usually gets up to eat. I bathe them every few days and they usually get about 12 hours of light. Should I turn off the lights later? If not, what should I do?

Oh, by the way, after they play outside I give them these pellet-things that the place where I got them recommended. They eat those every time, but that is all Chompy has eaten the last few days. I have to place it in front of him.

Any advice? Thanks :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Same here. I bought him the TortiPalace so he has lots of room and a hide on one side. He has the basking light, the AgroBrite natural daylight light bar, his soaks every other day.... he eats- not as much as he did but he does eat, especially loves his squash...then toddles off back to dig deep into the soil and cover up under the timothy hay. Ambient temp in house is 70 - the palace is "open" grill top so it would be hard to make it as warm as my closed sulcata tank. Is "making him come out for a bath and walks" alright??? I have covered the grill at night and used foil but I am not sure it really even affects him as he is deep in his hide under the soil and hay. Advice???? He seems happy, cozy and fed well....no issues on his body or shell.... the place I bought him from said all of their torts and snakes are slower and sleepier right now...like they know the weather is changing outside.

Rocky08

5 Year Member
Aurora, Colorado (U.S.A.)
I have noticed similar behavior every winter with my Russian. He tends to slow down, find the coolest corner, burrow down and sleep for up to a few days at a time. (This is even with lengthening days to 13 hrs and upping temps) By spring he's much more active and has always been perfectly healthy though :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
So relieved..... I still may add some sort of heater.....I think the light is adequate, but he "retires" to his room and he really doesn't see the light after he de ides it is nappy-time :D

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Help! Classroom pet!

Our school had this tortoise donated to them and nobody knows what type is it so we can do the research for what she needs.
I have Russian tortoises myself for 4 years and this website was really helpful in the beginning when we had no experience.
Thank you so much!