online Tortoise Shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So... For those of you who have seen my 2 measly little post, you know by now that my name is Ashlynn, I live In Maryland and I've been ooking forward to hopefully getting a tortoise soon :) although the only place around me that could count as a pet store is Petsmart and they do not have much in the way of selection at all. :( does anyone know of a good place to buy from online? a good trusted site? or does anyone on here sell Tortoises. Last time i bought in line i bought 3 baby red ear sliders from Turtleshack. They were all about a quarter big and at first i was excited and thought everything was ok but it turned out to be a horrible experience, They all died in about 3 months time and I was devastated. If anyone has any kind of advice or input i would love to listen and hear. i've always admired the beautiful creatures and now want to take the step to own my first one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know and trust Tyler and Sarah at tortoisesupply.com.

Personally, I prefer to buy from individual breeders in most cases. There are lots on this site.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I agree, tortoisesupply is a good place,,,,,,,,,,,,, what kind of a tort are you looking for

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm not exactly sure yet. But I'm looking fir something relatively smaller because I plan to keep my tort inside

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've had very good business w/ Underground Reptiles, but possibly you can find what you want from a member, too

For a small tortoise, any of the Europeans are great...I, personally, rate them, in terms of excellence as pets (friendliness, docility, personality): Hermann's, Greek (particularily Iberians), Marginated, Steppe (Russians).

You do know that they need sunlight, so even if you keep them inside, they'll need some outside time, every week, where they can get some rays, right? Artificial lights can get them through the cold months, but on warm days, at least an hour or two is vital to their health.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yea I know I plan to take them outside but I Live in Maryland so going outside everyday in winter is deffinately not a pla bc it gets cold her but in the summer and when it wamrs up I can take them outside to "play" and all and and let them get some sun

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
anm1221, we often have to get creative in keeping our pets healthy, but it's worth the effort....I keep mine outside, in their enclosure, as much as I can, approx. from early/mid-April to mid Oct/early Nov., or so. But sometimes, even in January, we'll have a day or two in the high 60's/low 70s, and I put 'em out on the front porch (made tort-friendly, of course) for an hour or two, and I do that as often as I can. The rerst of the year, it's UV-type lights, but I believe that grabbing bit of natural sunlight makes that extra bit of difference for them. Hopefully, you'll have the occ. warmer day you (and your tort-buddies) can utilize, as well

64b4d223-27a9-4048-8ebb-00d095751acd

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
Terry Allan Hall said:
anm1221, we often have to get creative in keeping our pets healthy, but it's worth the effort....I keep mine outside, in their enclosure, as much as I can, approx. from early/mid-April to mid Oct/early Nov., or so. But sometimes, even in January, we'll have a day or two in the high 60's/low 70s, and I put 'em out on the front porch (made tort-friendly, of course) for an hour or two, and I do that as often as I can. The rerst of the year, it's UV-type lights, but I believe that grabbing bit of natural sunlight makes that extra bit of difference for them. Hopefully, you'll have the occ. warmer day you (and your tort-buddies) can utilize, as well

Hey Thanks yea I plan to do that. I'm hoping to get some good time with it. I dont have a tortoise yet, but i'm hopefully getting one soon i'm in the middle of researching and going through the process of saving up so i can make a suitable home for it and them possibly them if I plan to get another afterwards.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
anm1221 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Hey Thanks yea I plan to do that. I'm hoping to get some good time with it. I dont have a tortoise yet, but i'm hopefully getting one soon i'm in the middle of researching and going through the process of saving up so i can make a suitable home for it and them possibly them if I plan to get another afterwards.

Planning in advance is very wise! :cool::tort:

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
thank you!! I'm trying to figure out what breed of Tortoise I want right now and go from their so I can have the right enclosure and know the type of food that I need to be getting so I can start planning in advance for what they will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.