Only 14 months old, but I'm thinking a female

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They all look female at 14 months.

Wait for a few years and you will know for certain. There is a lot of growing to be done yet!

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
On the young side for sure, but my guess would be male. The anal scutes look to me to be beginning to arc outward in male fashion. Also, the tail is suspect to me, and here's why (I'm really hoping some more experienced members will weigh in on this): That furrow, or groove running the length of the tail looks like a male indicator to me. Keep in mind that my experience is limited. But my 3 y/o male has that deep furrow, and I have a yearling with a very long, usually tucked tail, with that furrow, and I highly suspect he's a male as well.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm happy either way, but was hoping for a male. I'm also happy waiting a while longer to find out for sure. :)

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
It looks male to me too. I agree with Slow and Steady's observations...

The anal scutes look to me to be beginning to arc outward in male fashion. Also, the tail is suspect to me, and here's why: That furrow, or groove running the length of the tail looks like a male indicator to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Female anal scutes point either straight back or slightly inwards. Since that tortoise's anal scutes are pointing outward, I'm going with male.