Only 2 eggs, what happen to clutches?

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Greenbush, NY
On June 15, my Russian laid 2 eggs. They are being incubated now and one at least is progressing along nicely and I am looking forward to first successful hatchling! Now everything I have been reading tells me I should have had 2 more clutches about a month apart after the first eggs. Is there something I can do to encourage her to lay eggs? She is in the same habitat that she used to lay the first 2. More frequent soakings? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of enclosure is she in? Indoors or out? Size? Substrate?

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
East Greenbush, NY
Inside enclosure coco fiber and top soil mix for substrate, has a tub with 6 inches deep substrate under heat/uvb light. (Which is where she laid the first 2 eggs.)
I do take her outside for natural sunshine and exercise weather permitting.The enclosure is 4 foot by 8 foot.

turtlemanfla88

I keep my russian outside most of the year. I leave cuttlebone with most of my turtles and tortoises especially my females. I also give my turtles my own turtle jello and the tortoises get a tortoise jello and they love it. Remember do not use calcium with D3 if you keep your animal outside because to much D3 can be bad.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I haven't read much on this and can only go on what my Russians do. Last year my big female laid one clutch of three eggs. This year she had two clutches of three eggs 24 days apart.