Only a handful have seen these .. and especially this close -

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes...they are very cool ancient looking birds. I spot a few on our dead logs now and again. Never on our feeders.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have a clear picture in my mind of Woody, the Woodpecker, but your birds remind me of him. Anyone know if Woody was fashioned after the pileated?

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I wish you had all the ones we have here in Florida. They wreak havoc on my trees. The smaller Flickers bore holes for nests in my oaks, and the Pileateds take down whole limbs. They have even ruined a few telephone poles in my neighborhood.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I haven't seen any woodpeckers here in my part of Florida but saw many in northern Michigan. They had redheads but not sure if they were like those in the video.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I wish you had all the ones we have here in Florida. They wreak havoc on my trees. The smaller Flickers bore holes for nests in my oaks, and the Pileateds take down whole limbs. They have even ruined a few telephone poles in my neighborhood.

You infringed on their territory .. remember - they have been there long before you were. Maybe if you fed them you would see what magnificent creatures they are ???

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't have a clear picture in my mind of Woody, the Woodpecker, but your birds remind me of him. Anyone know if Woody was fashioned after the pileated?
From Wikipedia...

According to Walter Lantz's press agent, the idea for Woody came during the producer's honeymoon with his wife, Gracie, in Lake Sherwood, California. A noisy acorn woodpecker[5] outside their cabin kept the couple awake at night, and when a heavy rain started, they learned that the bird had bored holes in their cabin's roof. As both Walter and Gracie told Dallas attorney Rod Phelps during a visit, Walter wanted to shoot the bird, but Gracie suggested that her husband make a cartoon about the bird, and thus Woody was born.[6] Woody shares many characteristics in common with the pileated woodpecker in terms of both physical appearance as well as his characteristic laugh, which resembles the call of the pileated woodpecker. These similarities are apparently the result of the artistic license of the creators, and have caused much confusion within the birding community amongst those who have attempted to classify Woody's species.[5]