Only morning sun??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Would be okay for my DT hatchling to be outside permanently for the summer now? We are at Fort Irwin CA (natural territory for tort.) for the next couple months and it's about 70-75 degrees during the day now and drops to the 50's at night. Also he would only get the morning sun and then only shade after about 1pm. (Thats the only outside space I can currently provide) Should I bring him in at night and put him in a tortoise "run" until the morning?

Thanks a bunch!
-Shannon

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I wouldn't leave him out till he is older and has a sunnier spot.

samstar

5 Year Member
A couple of hours of natural sunlight everyday would be great, just makesure it has shelter and protection from other predators.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the wild, tortoises usually come out in the morning, sun themselves, eat, then go back in their burrow (or under their bush) until evening. I doubt many of them get the full mid-day sun treatment. A couple hours of morning sun would be just fine. Just make sure there is shade so you don't cook the baby. I don't see why you couldn't leave him outside permanently now, as long as you feel he's in a safe place.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Great thanks! I would bring him in at night b/c the coyotes are nosy and ruthless here and I want him to sleep in his humid hide. It has a heater attached to it that needs to be plugged in. He loves it outside so much i can't wait to let him stay out there. His table would go outside and I'm making a chicken wire top for it. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.