Open enclosure or tank?? For 2 year old Hermanns

Squirtle80

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
I've read/seen conflicting info about enclosures for Hermanns torts. In the Russian care sheet (which someone recommended someone else to read as they said the care was the same for Hermanns) there's pics of glass tank enclosures. But I've read posts about enclosures and the consensus is that glass tanks are pretty much a horrible thing. If you use an open enclosure, how do you keep the humidity up? I'm looking at getting a 2 year old Hermanns soon but I want to be prepared as far as which enclosure to use. I have the uvb long bulbs and CHE with the thermostat (have everything from our leopard tort hatchling). I know about pretty much everything else except which actual enclosure to use. HELP!!

tortoisekev

UK
I have an open table.

Frequently spray the coir substrate (not just a quick spray but make sure the water soaks in). I do it a lot in the morning, then top up where the lamp has dried it out later if needed.

Fresh water bowl (using a terracotta plant saucer).

Soak in a bowl (sometimes the small one in the picture, sometimes a bigger one when I’m doing a bigger clean of his enclosure) warm water (like you would a baby), until he starts getting restless and moving around a lot. Sometimes he poops in the bath, sometimes he saves it up for his enclosure!!

Here’s my set up.

IMG_0488.jpg

He likes to bury down and sleep behind the plant pots, or sometimes in his house. He especially loves destroying the plants by climbing through them!

... mines 3, had him a few months and am still definitely learning. I personally prefer the open indoor table over a closed enclosure though, aesthetically and - hopefully - I’m doing everything to make that work for Kevin!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on size rather than age. Youngsters need a very warm, humid environment to be healthy and a glass viv is ideal when they are very small... as long as the floor area is big enough.

The problems with glass tanks are:
1. Floor space - all but the babies need a minimum of 4’x8’ (1.5x2.2 metres) of floor space

2. As they become more active being able to see out can lead to them constantly scrabbling at the glass. This is easily fixed by putting a strip of paper round the bottom of the tank on the outside.

Once they’re 150g+ they’re going to need a bigger floor area but are still better off in a closed chamber until they get to around 500g

I am afraid there are no commercial tables suitable for larger tortoises; they’re all too small. You will need to construct your own. An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner or heavy duty polythene to protect it from the damp substrate makes a great tortoise table

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
It depends on size rather than age. Youngsters need a very warm, humid environment to be healthy and a glass viv is ideal when they are very small... as long as the floor area is big enough.

1. Floor space - all but the babies need a minimum of 4’x8’ (1.5x2.2 metres) of floor space

2. As they become more active being able to see out can lead to them constantly scrabbling at the glass. This is easily fixed by putting a strip of paper round the bottom of the tank on the outside.

Once they’re 150g+ they’re going to need a bigger floor area but are still better off in a closed chamber until they get to around 500g

I am afraid there are no commercial tables suitable for larger tortoises; they’re all too small. You will need to construct your own. An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner or heavy duty polythene to protect it from the damp substrate makes a great tortoise table

The tort we are looking at is 4-5 inches. Does she still need the super high humidity at that size? I love the bookshelf idea, hitting some thrift stores tomorrow to find one. I have the really thick plastic sheeting to use.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The tort we are looking at is 4-5 inches. Does she still need the super high humidity at that size? I love the bookshelf idea, hitting some thrift stores tomorrow to find one. I have the really thick plastic sheeting to use.

At that size, you’re into Tortoise Tables rather than vivariums :)

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
Ok, don't torts try to eat the fake plants in their enclosure? Have you tried growing plants they can eat in an enclosure? The fake plants just worry me a lot.

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
I have an open table.

Frequently spray the coir substrate (not just a quick spray but make sure the water soaks in). I do it a lot in the morning, then top up where the lamp has dried it out later if needed.

Fresh water bowl (using a terracotta plant saucer).

Soak in a bowl (sometimes the small one in the picture, sometimes a bigger one when I’m doing a bigger clean of his enclosure) warm water (like you would a baby), until he starts getting restless and moving around a lot. Sometimes he poops in the bath, sometimes he saves it up for his enclosure!!

Here’s my set up.

View attachment 256428

He likes to bury down and sleep behind the plant pots, or sometimes in his house. He especially loves destroying the plants by climbing through them!

... mines 3, had him a few months and am still definitely learning. I personally prefer the open indoor table over a closed enclosure though, aesthetically and - hopefully - I’m doing everything to make that work for Kevin!
Hi! I LOVE your table!!! My concern is the fake plants. Has your guy ever tried to eat them? Im paranoid about getting ours and her trying to eat everything in the area

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA
Also, I used a CHE with our leopard for heat for basking area, is that appropriate for Hermanns too? Or will it be too hot? That one CHE puts off a LOT of heat

tortoisekev

UK
Hi! I LOVE your table!!! My concern is the fake plants. Has your guy ever tried to eat them? Im paranoid about getting ours and her trying to eat everything in the area

No, the two fake ones I have in there are a bit high for him to reach anyway, but at the start he sniffed them, realised they weren’t good and left them alone. I keep them in for him to have hiding spots and decorations.

I’ve added real plants more recently using the TortoiseTable website to check what plants are ok (a lot are on there but not everything). He doesn’t really try to eat those either, just likes walking through them! He nibbles the pansy’s sometime.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If using real plants, sink the pot into the substrate with about an inch of rim showing. The plant survives better in its pot, is easier to water and is less likely to be trampled.

A number of people use fake plants successfully. Torts do seem to recognise fake green. They’re not so good with bright colours - red will get eaten regardless of its edibility... Joe once tried to eat red circles printed on a newspaper [emoji849]

Squirtle80

Bakersfield, CA

I have a bookshelf I'm picking up Friday but what lights/heat do I need for it? The pic attached is how I plan on finishing it but I don't know how many lamp arms to attach to hang light fixtures