Opinion on newspaper as substrate for RT?

KCCO

I just got my Russian tortoise last month, did all my research and found that most people suggest coconut coir substrate so that's what I got. I took my tort to the vet and he found a significant amount of pin worms. I have to go in two more times to get my tort dewormed and he said to throw out my substrate and use newspaper from now on. At first I was upset because that's not very natural for the tort and seemed weird but he was very adimate on getting rid of it. I understand it's was easier to clean and will help with keeping the worms from spreading more but I would like other people's opinions on making this a permanent switch. He seems very happy in the newspaper and burrows very deep which I think gives him a "natural" activity to do that he couldn't with the coconut stuff.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Agreed fine for sick, but not forever

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bake your coir in the oven, 250 for a couple 2-3 hours and reuse it when your torts worms are gone. Use the paper only while treating for worms. Then go back to the coir or dirt when he comes up clean. Unfortunately, most vets don't have a clue about torts.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good rule to follow, trust your vet's medical advice, not husbandry. :)