Opinions on keeping a cherry head indoors most of the year.

masonpertman

Location (City and/or State)
massachusetts
Hey I live in Massachusetts and it gets real cold for most of the year. Really it's only consistently hot enough (80+) from June to August. What size enclosure would be recommended for a full grown adult? Should it be enclosed or just a standered table? I've been doing lots of research on a few diffrent tortoise species and these are my favorite. I've read that they usually dont end up as large as other RFs is this true? I would love to be able to keep one but if it substantially decreases quality of life I wouldnt want to subject it to that. Thanks so much for your input and expertise.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'm new to tortoise keeping, so hopefully someone else jumps in and can correct me if need be, but from what I do know it should be fine to keep them indoors with the proper lighting. Their health/behavior doesn't seem to be compromised if they're indoors as long as they have enough space and the right setup.

For an adult RF, I've been seeing 10x10 as a common, good-sized enclosure. Even if cherry heads are a little smaller, they'd probably enjoy as much space as they can get

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm a touch north of you in NH, and my redfoot, Darwin, will spend most of the year inside as well ... I'm slowly working on an outside enclosure for him for next summer ... I'm currently thinking it'll be 8X8, with a night box for helping him stay warm when the temps drop.

Jamie

daniellenc

Maryland
8X4 is the minimum indoors especially if this will be for most of the year. All RF's will require high humidity so a closed chamber is necessary since it's drier up north in the cold months and no where near as humid as South America even in the summer months. I live in Maryland so while we don't experience your extreme winters we do suffer from cold and snow much like you. My guy is indoors from mid October-April and is thriving despite not being kept outdoors year round. Of course he can't talk so maybe he hates his life but he eats and poops like a champ. Cherryheads are USUALLY smaller but not always so if you can a 10x4 table with a closed permanent top is what you'd ultimately want to be able to accommodate. If you're getting a hatchling though they can only be outside very sporadically that first year anyway and don't require such a huge table so you'd have time to plan a bigger enclosure.