Opinions on New enclosure!

@nimal_l0v3r

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
so I have a red footed tortoise about 3-4years old. He definitely needs a new enclosure, that can retain good humidity, good temp and good space. I need an indoor enclosure since it is cold outside half of the year. She is also has a little bit of pyramiding. We’ve tried lots of things and need some other people’s opinions. Also is it ok for thr tortoise to roam my room for awhile?

@nimal_l0v3r

Connecticut
Also to add what I said before, what size would you recommend? What material should it be made out of? he is in a glass 40 gallon breeder enclosure right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is one of my favorite enclosures to show people:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

If you have a hard time keeping it warm enough, you'll need to cover it.

I don't think it's a good idea to allow a tortoise to roam around on the floor. Two reasons - it's pretty cold down there, and he may find something small enough to eat, but large enough to cause internal problems.

@nimal_l0v3r

Connecticut
How big is your tortoise? Can we see pictures?

Your tortoise should not be roaming the floor. It is too cold, and very dangerous.
I don’t have pictures at the moment on my phone but he is about the size of a small book. Sorry bad comparison. I will get pics as soon as possible.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Half the fun of raising a tortoise is being able to be creative with the enclosure. I've had a blast designing mine.