Opinions on purchased tortoise food

janetm

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Any opinions on purchased food, such as Mazuri LS or Flukers Crafted Cuisine, as a supplement to greens? I noticed that the Flukers option contains fruit which is a big no-no for Desert Tortoises (which is what I have).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Diet are the only two I have ever used. Both of these are a fine supplement to fresh greens.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In terms of nutrient content, ingredients, and fiber profile the two ZooMed pellets, grassland and forest, are the best commercial pellets available in the US. A side by side comparison of commercial diets to natural diets was used in a published account in what can be called the 'third edition' of the Mader book.

I use them. The "my tortoise does not like them" to me sounds like "my husbandry goes for the cheap food full of sugary smells". Like feeding your kids sugar smacks, not granola. But I don't have kids, so...

It's easy to get tortoises to eat unfamiliar foods, you just got to put in the time.

The ZooMed foods are more expensive than the Mazuri, but not by that much. If your looking for thriftiness then consider organic chicken layer crumbles. They have the longest track record as a tortoise food over any other commercially prepared food offered to tortoises. And the ingredients and nutrient profile is very similar to Mazuri, but no sugar added, and a whole bunch more calcium.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any opinions on purchased food, such as Mazuri LS or Flukers Crafted Cuisine, as a supplement to greens? I noticed that the Flukers option contains fruit which is a big no-no for Desert Tortoises (which is what I have).
Mazuri LS, original Mazuri (5M21), and both of the ZooMed pellets are all great to use as supplemental foods.

If you don't have some already, I highly recommend a variety or two of spineless opuntia. These are one of the natural foods of DTs, and very easy to grow and feed out too. High in calcium, water content and fiber. Excellent tortoise food, they are.

janetm

Phoenix AZ
Thank you for your input. I've ordered some of the Zoo Med pellets so I'll have on hand when my girls wake up in March. We moved recently and had to build new enclosures so, yes, I'm hoping to get a spineless opuntia to supplement. Will have grass (at last!) and some aloe plants and hibiscus. I figure all that, plus a bit of spring mix should make them happy.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. For my little guy I can only get him to eat his salad with the Mazuri LS for small torts but he's really picky. He sniffs everything he eats but will go ahead and eat with it mixed within the salad. The real reason I answered is for your sake. Don't forget that spineless prickly pear aren't really totally spineless. They don't hurt a tortoise but if you handle them with your bare hands... take my word it may not be fun. Just use some protection when you're chopping it up.