1376677988529.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 165

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I haven't used that one. I prefer Mazuri and ZooMed Grassland.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I've used Mazuri periodically, and it seems to be well regarded by both tortoises and tortoise keepers although frankly the ingredient list makes me uneasy.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
My redfoot actually prefers the ZooMed product, although it too has ingredients such as soybean hulls that worry me. You can order either from tortoise supply.com

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Has anyone used Pre Alpin? It looks like it doesn't have any of the troubling ingredients of Mazuri or Zoomed. But hard to get in US.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:

Dry substance 92.0 %
Phosphorus 0.27 %
Crude fibre 27.8 %
Iron 605 mg/kg
Crude protein 7.9 %
Manganese 68 mg/kg
Crude ashes 6.7 %
Carotene 45.1 mg/kg
Crude fat 2.2 %
Zinc 25 mg/kg
Calcium 0.58 %
Copper 4.7 mg/kg

From <http://www.reptilica.co.uk/Agrobs-Pre-Alpin-Testudo-Herbs-for-all-tortoises.phtml>

So assume 8% water, I guess, that means the label content are very near a proximate value, and that would mean the protein is a bit low, IMO.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would want to know what the "dry substance" is. At least on the Zoo Med and Mazuri labels it lists the types of grasses and weeds the product contains.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Here's a list of what Pre Alpin includes:
Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady’s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch, cat’s tail, crested dog’s tail, perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady’s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others.

Agree that "many others" is not an ideal description bit it contains only plant material, no grains or cereals.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It will probably be ok to feed it but why? Just feed grasses and weeds its free. If you don't think he's getting all his vitamins get some supplements like bees pollen ,or mineral all.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Picking up some zoo med grassland for my leopard for when I return back to the uk tomorrow (I'm currently in spain)
How often is it fed along with weeds/grasses etc? Thanks.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I used to use it for my russians. They didn't care for it. My yearling sulkie likes it, but mazuri ia better for him.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
GotTort said:
Here's a list of what Pre Alpin includes:
Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady’s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch, cat’s tail, crested dog’s tail, perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady’s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others.

Agree that "many others" is not an ideal description bit it contains only plant material, no grains or cereals.

I have been to the German manufacturer of this, and would love to order some to the US to try it. It sounds like it would be great to add to the diet, especially in the winter. If anyone knows how to get it here, or have it shipped here, I'd like to know.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
GotTort said:
Has anyone used Pre Alpin? It looks like it doesn't have any of the troubling ingredients of Mazuri or Zoomed. But hard to get in US.

I use pre alpin. My greek (yearling) eats it if i mix it with something he likes but won't eat it plain. I also know someone with an adult hermann and her tort loves it.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383772427.915117.jpg Romaine cigars for my tortoise!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: