Opinions please

Jherilooper

Location (City and/or State)
California
I want to know what are your guys go to vegetables and other stuff to feed your tortoise what’s the best options for them?
And where do you guys get it from.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
I want to know what are your guys go to vegetables and other stuff to feed your tortoise what’s the best options for them?
And where do you guys get it from.
Just noticed you tagged sulcata. They shouldn't really be eating vegetables too much. Mostly grasses and weeds...some opuntia, hay, mazuri. Mine eats 80% grass and weeds, 15% cactus, 5% collard greens as a treat.

Jherilooper

California
Just noticed you tagged sulcata. They shouldn't really be eating vegetables too much. Mostly grasses and weeds...some opuntia, hay, mazuri. Mine eats 80% grass and weeds, 15% cactus, 5% collard greens as a treat.
where does everybody get “weeds” my yard barely has any.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sister lives in Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust. . . so you have to take her info with a grain of salt (all that rain encourages weeds to grow). She takes a plastic shopping bag and a pair of scissors and walks her neighborhood, looking especially at the vacant lots. She finds enough clean weeds and grasses to feed her two sulcatas.

I have an acre of land and there are always weeds somewhere on the property I can harvest.

When I don't have mulberry leaves or grape leaves, I sometimes use bagged greens from the store. My store sells turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens and kale in bags, already chopped and cleaned. If you don't want to spend the extra $$ for bags, you can buy bunches or heads in the produce section of those same greens. I like the endive and escarole as a base, then add whatever weeds, leaves and greens I have on hand.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what to feed:

Where to find it? Friends, neighbors, grow it yourself, etc... I scrounge food from all over the place. I look for signs of insect life to rule out pesticides.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
where does everybody get “weeds” my yard barely has any.?

Definitely start looking all around your community. And as Tom said keep an eye out for pesticide treated areas. The opuntia I get is from these 4 random cacti that grow on a trail near my house. Do the joggers look at me crazy as I am harvesting 2 or 3 pads? Yes. Is it free and healthy for my tort? Yes! Lol. Keep your eyes peeled.

Jherilooper

California
Thank you everyone I’ve always researched the more they grow but it’s better to talk to someone personally who is already went threw that?❤️
just want the best for my babies!