Opo going to vet.

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Well everything went fine. Opo has a parasite. Opo didn't poop on the way there. But got us as soon as we got in the van on the way home. :(
I will post later. I have some questions to ask. Got to get rid of my pain now. View attachment 271163Opo peeking out the box he was in :)
He’s got very mischievous eyes ;)

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Awww Opo! Both of mine started with soft stools this week I will probably be making the same trip soon.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good point about getting to know the vet before something urgent happens. Ray, is the vet you're going to on the list here on the forum?
Forget to give you a answer .No I didn't use a vet on the list here. A friend of mine has lizards and was happy with this guy. Have the vet's on the list here been verified to care for torts? I actually found a few that were closer.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok so I am not sure if this vet is the one. He was very knowledgeable in some aspects but lacking in others.
Here are the medicines he prescribed to use.
Panacurc for killing the parasites. One dose now by mixing with a little water and brushing it on Opo's food. I was thinking to mix it with mazuri. Then another dose in 2 weeks.
Proviable-EC to put to a good probiotic back in the digestive tract.
Reading threads here I have never heard of either of these. @Tom , @Yvonne G or anyone else give me some advice. Thank you. 20190430_133716.jpg Opo and the vet.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Ok so I am not sure if this vet is the one. He was very knowledgeable in some aspects but lacking in others.
Here are the medicines he prescribed to use.
Panacurc for killing the parasites. One dose now by mixing with a little water and brushing it on Opo's food. I was thinking to mix it with mazuri. Then another dose in 2 weeks.
Proviable-EC to put to a good probiotic back in the digestive tract.
Reading threads here I have never heard of either of these. @Tom , @Yvonne G or anyone else give me some advice. Thank you. View attachment 271214 Opo and the vet.
I think I’ve fallen in love with Opo, he seems so full of life and I love his eyes!!!! I may have to steal him.......no.......ok:p :tort:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Aww!! Panacur is what Vlad was given for pinworms. We used the "soak a mazuri in the liquid medicine" technique to get him to take the medicine.

I haven't heard of the other one before.
Thanks the vet said the probiotic was a option. I figured I would get it and decide after getting feedback here if I would use it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think I’ve fallen in love with Opo, he seems so full of life and I love his eyes!!!! I may have to steal him.......no.......ok:p :tort:
Thanks the vet was surprised how active Opo was. Opo wasn't afraid of the vet. He has started to come out of his shell :) No pun intended. ;) Well I guess there was LOL

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Opo has gotten big!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Opo will be 2 in June. I was hoping he would be 10lbs by then. Dont think he will make it. Opo only weighs 7.2 lbs.

Enjoy the time with him while he's little while it lasts. I can't believe how quickly Vlad has grown.

He's not easy to pick up any more :D

Erinelle

Hales Corners, WI
In just 3 years, I’ve seen 7 cases where someone brought their tort to the vet and after vitamin shots, they’ve died. That’s a very high number! Just be careful with what you allow. Vets are good for diagnosing and making sure your tort thrives but injections are very rarely needed.
Antibiotic injections for severely sick; fine. Not vitamins.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
In just 3 years, I’ve seen 7 cases where someone brought their tort to the vet and after vitamin shots, they’ve died. That’s a very high number! Just be careful with what you allow. Vets are good for diagnosing and making sure your tort thrives but injections are very rarely needed.
Antibiotic injections for severely sick; fine. Not vitamins.
I agree this was my first time to a vet with a tort. So I received some advice here on TFO. The one suggestion that came up a few times was no shots.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Enjoy the time with him while he's little while it lasts. I can't believe how quickly Vlad has grown.

He's not easy to pick up any more :D
Part of me wants him to stay small and another I want Opo to get as big as he can. In reality it's the latter one.