Opo has yellow eye drainage.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Yesterday I noticed Opo's right eye was draining. ( it was clear)
Today both eyes are draining with yellowish mucus.
Went to take a pic but he was sleeping.
In the last week he has slept in one of his hides he uses to get out of the sun.
It has been getting down to 75° about 4am in the morning and back up to 85° by 8am.
Any help would be appreciated.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Oh no!!!! Poor Opo.... might you have an Allergic tortoise??? ‘‘Tis the season.....
every other critter and person is subject to seasonal allergies that are amplified by the heat.. Could this be true of tortoises also???? I’ll be following this thread for my own knowledge.. and I sure hope it’s nothing serious... hope your ok too Ray.. we’ve missed you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sometimes a temperature change will cause the eyes to drain. I see this with Walker but the drainage is more clear to cream colored not a yellow. Hope he's OK.
Thanks, I guess it is better described as cream color. I will get some eye drops that another well known member suggested to someone else. If it persists I will try it. Opo went to his night box tonight. So I will see how he is doing tomorrow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Oh no!!!! Poor Opo.... might you have an Allergic tortoise??? ‘‘Tis the season.....
every other critter and person is subject to seasonal allergies that are amplified by the heat.. Could this be true of tortoises also???? I’ll be following this thread for my own knowledge.. and I sure hope it’s nothing serious... hope your ok too Ray.. we’ve missed you!
Thanks Heather, I am ok just getting tired of this covid crap. With all my underlying issues I need to be cautious. I am getting cabin fever. LOL
I am going to buy a bike so I can get some exercise and some fresh air.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks Heather, I am ok just getting tired of this covid crap. With all my underlying issues I need to be cautious. I am getting cabin fever. LOL
I am going to buy a bike so I can get some exercise and some fresh air.
A bike??? Do tell!

Hubby sent me some nice Picts of a Harley Trike the other day.. I think he was hinting at something..?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When in doubt, give Mr Opo a nice warm water soak. Aren’t Sullys often referred to as the “ crying” torts? Msybe he has extra tears & some pollen or dust collected. A good soak & spray might clear things up.
Thanks Mark, I have a 6" sprinkler ring that I turn on for Opo daily. Today I guess he didn't want it. When I went to turn it off he was sitting right on top of it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A bike??? Do tell!

Hubby sent me some nice Picts of a Harley Trike the other day.. I think he was hinting at something..?
I would love a Harley again. I was talking about a peddle bike. I can use the stationary bike in therapy. So I figured I can ride a bicycle.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello! Misssed you Rose and Opo. I keep an eye rinse for me and my tortoise. I like Fluckers for Saphire. Alaway for me.
Thanks I am going to Petco tomorrow. Rose had already soaked him and fed him this morning and his eyes stayed clear and dry all day. I have this tall grass called mana grass for Opo to hide in. He was in there all day yesterday. Maybe it is giving off some pollen.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks I am going to Petco tomorrow. Rose had already soaked him and fed him this morning and his eyes stayed clear and dry all day. I have this tall grass called mana grass for Opo to hide in. He was in there all day yesterday. Maybe it is giving off some pollen.
Possibly.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes and because of how they have to live to be happy, they might need an eye rinse now and then. Dust, dirt, pollen etc. There could be better ones. I like Fluckers because it's not expensive, mild, but yet effective. I can replace it for new without paying to much.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Cathie, since it has cleared up. I am just going to order online.
No need going out with the virus.
The last time I bought it I found it on Amazon dirt cheap. I hardly ever have to use it. It's one of those things I keep in a first aid kit for my critters. I've read but don't know how true it is, that you can use human eye drops for dry eye also. Glad it was just a little irritation.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The last time I bought it I found it on Amazon dirt cheap. I hardly ever have to use it. It's one of those things I keep in a first aid kit for my critters. I've read but don't know how true it is, that you can use human eye drops for dry eye also. Glad it was just a little irritation.
Thanks Cathie, I am going to order today on the computer. Dont like using my phone for purchases.