Opo's medicine for parasites

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Opo went to the vet yesterday because of loose stools. The vet gave me Panacur for the parasites. One dose today and one in 2 weeks.
Also gave me Proviable DC to put good bacteria back in the digestive system.
The vet said the second med was a option.
I got the Proviable but didn't want to use until I get some input from you all.
Thanks Ray

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you have 2 or more healthy tortoises, sometimes you can use poo from a healthy tortoise to jumpstart the gut flora of the one that had worm treatments.
But I've never needed to. And you probably wont either.
The worm poison kills the gut bacteria. Antibiotics often do also.
You may see partial digestion after the treatment is over. Things like leaf stems in the poo, etc.
I may be overlooking something. But I don't think that using the flora treatment would have any negative side affects. So, if you've already purchased it. Give it a shot.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If you have 2 or more healthy tortoises, sometimes you can use poo from a healthy tortoise to jumpstart the gut flora of the one that had worm treatments.
But I've never needed to. And you probably wont either.
The worm poison kills the gut bacteria. Antibiotics often do also.
You may see partial digestion after the treatment is over. Things like leaf stems in the poo, etc.
I may be overlooking something. But I don't think that using the flora treatment would have any negative side affects. So, if you've already purchased it. Give it a shot.
That's what the vet said. It won't hurt Opo but it might help. Do I need to change his substrate and clean his hides?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What type parasite did the vet find in the fecal test? Panacur is used primarily for nematodes- most likely pinworms in tortoises. However pinworms normally don’t cause loose stools. That would normally make me suspect a protozoan - amoebas Or flagellates but that medication is normally Flagyl ( metronidazole)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am not
What type parasite did the vet find in the fecal test? Panacur is used primarily for nematodes- most likely pinworms in tortoises. However pinworms normally don’t cause loose stools. That would normally make me suspect a protozoan - amoebas Or flagellates but that medication is normally Flagyl ( metronidazole)
I am not sure. I will call him Monday. He let me look in the microscope. There were worm like creatures and then there were round shaped things with a dark center. The dark center didn't fill the round shape completely. There was a slim light ring between the wall and the dark center.

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
was the smear looked at for Coccsidia? Arghhhh they are very hard to get rid off. If so? The liquid medicine is in a white, opaque bottle with bright red writing. ,
And b careful with the panacure “” type””
I know in mammals, the golden Gel mixture is teratogenic n causes a LOT of spontaneus abortions. I’d still? B careful if you’ve been told to use the Gel..,, please? Use the white stuff.
Natural worm inhibitor too, is vinegar in their water. 1 to 4.
Best wishes.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Not sure if that was what the smear was.
The panacure is a white powder and the vet told me to separate it into 8 portions of the same size ( it was a pile about the diameter of a dime after splitting it up). I gave Opo one of the portions and another in 2 weeks.