Opportunity to get a Greek tort...Should I?

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Just want to throw it or there for those with experience with medteranian torts, especially those who keep Greeks. Are they personable, fairly easy to keep? I'll keep him in a 50 gal tub for the winter and he'll be outside for the spring summer and fall. I never considered them but now I could get a 5 year old male golden greek with an almost all "golden" carapace. Should I?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes! Lol... I love Greek tortoises! Hahaha so my opinion is one sided.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes! (I'm biased too!) Greeks are sweet, personable torts and fairly easy to care for. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not biased at all. Don't really know much about them. But, really, it's a tortoise, how bad could it be:D. Get him.
Oh, btw, I would very rarely ever talk someone out of a tortoise:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Where does a Greek tortoise fit into your tortoise plans? If the only reason you are considering it is because the opportunity arose, then I'm leaning towards no. It's easy to spread yourself thin.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Yes! My Greek is just the best! He is not difficult to care for.

For the care, think heat lamp, strip UVB, and a substrate of plain, organic soil. Organic Spring Mix is good for them to eat. Your tort is going to need bigger then a 50 gallon tub to live in for winter, unless you are hibernating him. Good luck! I vote yes as long as the care can be provided properly!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't say I have plans of any particular kind other than learning and enjoying another species of tort. They are all pets and I've loved these shelled guys since I was a kid. So I guess it's just to do something different with torts and it's not just a passing fancy that I'll drop in a week. Never having owned a Mediterranean tort before just wanted a heads up as to what to expect. Plus he's 5 years old so I don't have to worry about the fragile stages of a baby. My issue is he's been a bit neglected and his head is very dry and crusty looking. I'm assuming due to a lack of humidity in our winter. Do you guys think it will self rectify with higher humidity and soaks? Thanks for the responses!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Absolutely yes! I have one and love her. She loves to stomp around. I would connect 2, 50 gallon tubs in the winter. They really like to move.
Mine runs to me for food. It is so funny.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jaizei may be the only sane voice of reason, lol.
The rest of us say, YES, because we like seeing tortoises or turtles go to good homes.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I thick I'm Biased but I have 20 leopards went to the reptile show and bought another one , I have 11 different types of torts and water turtles . So torts are like Lays chips cannt have just one ! :)

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
I say yes. You have torts already goldens are not that hard to keep happy!
I have three goldens and seven Leo's you will love him ,trust me and it sounds like he needs you! Good luck...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 40

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very much one sided. If you ask me. I will say yes. Your set-up are able to provide decent space and attention if you add another one.

If I would you....... I surely would.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Well greek tortoise are great beginner! so i say yes!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone. How about the issue of cracked dry skin all over the head? Raised well as a baby, but a little neglected lately and therefore fewer or zero soaks and misting. Is it reversable without any permanent damage physically and visually? I'd rescue him in a heart beat if the price was low but they are top dollar here in Canada. Owner isn't moving much on the price.