Opuntia (Prickly pear) species

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeshis0019

5 Year Member
I was curious if there was a specific species of this cactus that is necessary or if there are any species that are absolutely not to be eaten.

The climate in my area is suitable for growth of very few species and I wanted to get a Santa Rita cactus (Opuntia gosselinenia...or something) to harvest pads and feed to the tortoise. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I would get the spineless species (Opuntia ficus-indica), but they aren't available around here and wouldn't grow very well either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Any of the cacti in the opuntia family is edible, however, there is a couple of them that are basically spineless, and easier to work with.

Santa Rita is a very pretty cactus and has pretty blooms, but it also has quite a few spines (glochids).

Usually the one harvested for human consumption is Opuntia ficus - indica.

morloch

5 Year Member
How much prickly pear is safe to feed? I bought a whole case because it's hard to find sometimes. Also, anyone know if u can freeze prickly pear? Thx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have several varieties of "spineless" opuntia. I tried that Santa Rita type, but it just has too many spines to be practical for my liking.

Where are you that regular spineless opuntia won't grow? It grows all over most of the country. We have a member, Len, who has even found some varieties that will live in his area of Virginia in the snow over winter. By contrast its very hot and dry where I am and my opuntia do fine as long as I water them well once or twice a week.

I also occasionally take the time to cut the spines off of organ pipe cactus and feed that too. I know that some species of cactus are toxic and should not be fed, but as draw as I have heard, all of the opuntia are okay.

And hello. Welcome. What species of tortoise are you feeding?

morloch

5 Year Member
I hope I'm not interrupting but I have this kind of prickly pear and have been feeding it twice a week, just making sure that's ok, unless I feed it or freeze it ,, it will go bad. Thx for any infoImageUploadedByTortForum1378059883.350783.jpg!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are the fruits. It's fine a couple of times a week. The pads are better for them. Like any fruit, I try not to feed those too much or too often.

morloch

5 Year Member
Ok, thank you, I'll have to try getting pads online.

leeshis0019

5 Year Member
morloch said:
Ok, thank you, I'll have to try getting pads online.

He (or she) is a Sulcata (African spur-thighed) tortoise.

I don't mind taking time to get spines off (will burn them with a torch and then go over them with heavy-duty gloves). He's only a couple of months old so it's not like he'll be eating entire pads any time soon. I also have a bearded dragon that can eat the pads too so it's a plus. I live in Georgia by the way. It isn't the climate as much as it's the soil...we have nothing but the clay and replacing it with usable soil is a pain and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.