Opuntia, Robusta&Humifusa, Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
FOR FREE, I have a lot of extra of both types,they both have spines but are a good food source, and can withstand cold winter temperatures.Grow your own next year. Just pay shipping, will ship in the USPS ship anywhere box, 3 sizes to choose from. The robusta will not fit in the small box, I have some that are small enough to fit in the medium box.The pics are of a smaller robusta plant and a fruit from the robusta, The humifusa are a smaller type that goes dormant during winter,I can send some bare root plants of this type.Len

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since I am now home full time, I would sure like to give it another go with your plants. Of course, also keep in mind I have that horrible black thumb thing going on.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I would be interested ..but not sure if they would grow in the northeast??

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I'd like to try, I'm also from the NorthEast.

How would you like payment? Paypal? Flying Monkey?

Len B

10 Year Member!
The humifusa will grow up into Canada, and a friends daughter took some robusta to Fairbolt (not sure of spelling) Minn, and as far as I know it is still alive.I also have a limited amount of opuntia leucotricha, native to Mexico, it is not a food source but it gets real big(tree like) and hairy, neat yard plant for people in the warmer, or cold but dry areas.Paypal, check, or money order, will be fine.I wish we could use Flying Monkeys.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
??Len?? said:
The humifusa will grow up into Canada, and a friends daughter took some robusta to Fairbolt (not sure of spelling) Minn, and as far as I know it is still alive.I also have a limited amount of opuntia leucotricha, native to Mexico, it is not a food source but it gets real big(tree like) and hairy, neat yard plant for people in the warmer, or cold but dry areas.Paypal, check, or money order, will be fine.I wish we could use Flying Monkeys.

I'd love some too, sounds like many have beat me to the punch but if you have any left over let me know!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Redstrike said:
??Len?? said:

I'd love some too, sounds like many have beat me to the punch but if you have any left over let me know!

I have plenty, just let me know what you want.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am in northern Michigan, and the cactus that I got from Len last year is doing just fine up here ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The ones that I have planted outside are just in the ground, in regular dirt, in an area that drains well. The ones I have inside are planted in organic cactus potting mix.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
I am interested, but i live in northern Montana... It gets really cold and wet..., I am able to grow them indoors under T5 lighting if it does well like that. But am able to pay if available.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
The ones that I have planted outside are just in the ground, in regular dirt, in an area that drains well. The ones I have inside are planted in organic cactus potting mix.

Thank you Kristina.. Figure I will start them inside and transfer outside in spring..
Also where do you get cactus potting soil...

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Len, in your experience, what is the most effective way to "de-spine" the really spiny cactuses? Thanks in advance...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Weldd said:
Len, in your experience, what is the most effective way to "de-spine" the really spiny cactuses? Thanks in advance...
I usually do it by accident when I'm working with it, then I de-spine my hands and arms later, just kidding, That is a hard question to answer because there are different types of spines,If I'm feeding older growth with the long hard spines I usually pull them out with pliers or cut the off with nippers.The smaller softer spines I either scrape with a knife or burn them off.I am in the process of gathering up the younger pads and fruit to store for winter feeding, these spines I will burn off with a torch that my wife has for cooking,It works great, small flame that is easy to control but very hot.When I scrape with a knife I do it under running water to keep the spines from going everywhere.Doing it dry is like getting fuzzed by a tarantula,if you've never had that experience you don't know what you are missing. Len

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Weldd said:

I hold them with tongs over the flame on my stove and they sizzle right off. very fast and easy process!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Torty Mom said:
Weldd said:

I hold them with tongs over the flame on my stove and they sizzle right off. very fast and easy process!
No flame both houses totally electric but if I had gas I would try that way.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
??Len?? said:
Doing it dry is like getting fuzzed by a tarantula,if you've never had that experience you don't know what you are missing. Len

I will take you word on that one. I have no intention of experiencing it for myself. Bad enough, all cactus attack me. Yesterday, while saving a feral half grown kitten who decided to go into the coonhound's pen, I found the bunch of wild cucumber vine I had yet to remove. I was covered with it's little spikes. Finally even threw away the t shirt I had one. :(

Len B

10 Year Member!
Doritoinmontucky said:
I am interested, but i live in northern Montana... It gets really cold and wet..., I am able to grow them indoors under T5 lighting if it does well like that. But am able to pay if available.
I have never grown these particular types under lights, what I do if not sure of the hardiness and planted in the ground,In the fall leave it in the ground until it goes dormant, then dig it up and store it in a cool place, and replant in spring, if in a pot, let it go dormant then bring it in and store in a cool place.Under the right conditions you wont have to water but maybe a couple of times during storage time.With these, the pads I collect for winter feeding I store in the laundry room between layers of newspaper, what is left over in the spring I plant.I will gladly send you some if you want,Just PM me your address, and what size box you want to use. Len

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Got the cactus today, hope you werent injured during the shipping process... Thanks Len...

Status
Not open for further replies.