Oral Baytril is not working??

Missmoore

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I wonder if anyone can help me…..

My Horsfield tortoise is like my baby, I absolutely adore him and will do anything I can to keep him healthy!
His substrate is Coco Coir, mixed with orchid Bark.
His temperatures at 32 - 35 and I am on top of his calcium and vitamins with Nutrobal and his diet (which I am trying to improve and have ordered him an indoor plant collection from a reputable tortoise site.)
However, my house is the coldest house (UK) It feels likes there is a permanently a draft, so I’ve recently made my own den around his table to try and keep the heat in.
3.5 weeks ago he was suspected to have a respiratory infection and was given 28 days of oral Baytril (1ml a day) and 28 days of oral Karidox (2ml for 28days), with his last doses due on Tuesday.
The last 4/5 days he has started sneezing again and today I have seen quite a few bubbles from his nose throughout the duration of the day. He’s sleeping all day, very lethargic and only nibbles a few leaves from his food.
I am literally at whitsend and desperate as there must be something I’m not doing right.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?
I have raised his temperatures today in the hope to keep his infection at bay.

How can he possibly be sneezing still whilst still on Baytril?!! ? After reading the comments, I really want to avoid injections If I can but it’s looking like my only hope.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Wait for an expert. @Tom @Yvonne G @ZEROPILOT I don't know anything about baytril. Post pictures of the enclosure

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Reptiles get sick when their environmental temperatures and humidity are out of their optimal ranges (by species).

Dehydrated animals fall sick very quickly and cannot recover (or do so only slowly and painfully). Daily soaking in warm water for 40-60 minutes is the easiest way to maintain healthful body hydration (reptiles can absorb water through their tail vents, even when they don't drink).

An antibiotic will not work -- no matter what -- if the animal's body cannot reach optimal temperatures for the immune system, blood circulation, metabolism, and urinary production to work.

If the immune system is off-line, infective microbes will continue to re-invade the body.
If the circulatory system is sub-optimal, immune cells and antibiotic molecules cannot reach and kill microbes.
If the kidneys and liver are not properly hydrated and working at Optimal levels, antibiotic drugs will pile up in the blood, straining other bodily systems, and metabolized food and drugs cannot be cleared out of the body.

This is the most successful care information for your pet:

Let us know how to help you get things optimized quickly so your pet can turn around! We have a number of UKers on the Forums who can help with sources of equipment.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
My Vet told me the other day baytrill won’t clear up a viral infection, only a bacterial infection. Maybe it’s a viral infection.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
In addition to his uvb and basking lamps do you have night heat for your tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

My Horsfield tortoise is like my baby, I absolutely adore him and will do anything I can to keep him healthy!
His temperatures at 32 - 35 and I am on top of his calcium and vitamins with Nutrobal and his diet (which I am trying to improve and have ordered him an indoor plant collection from a reputable tortoise site.)
However, my house is the coldest house (UK) It feels likes there is a permanently a draft, so I’ve recently made my own den around his table to try and keep the heat in.
3.5 weeks ago he was suspected to have a respiratory infection and was given 28 days of oral Baytril (1ml a day) and 28 days of oral Karidox (2ml for 28days), with his last doses due on Tuesday.
The last 4/5 days he has started sneezing again and today I have seen quite a few bubbles from his nose throughout the duration of the day. He’s sleeping all day, very lethargic and only nibbles a few leaves from his food.
I am literally at whitsend and desperate as there must be something I’m not doing right.

How can he possibly be sneezing still whilst still on Baytril?!! ? After reading the comments, I really want to avoid injections If I can but it’s looking like my only hope.
Reptiles don't get sick for no reason. They get sick when something in the environment is not correct. This is usually temperatures. Your vet is treating the symptoms without discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the sickness. This is futile and won't work.

The solution to your problem is a large closed chamber with the heating and lighting contained inside. Trying to heat an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house with no roof. It doesn't work, as you are seeing.

Follow the care info in the care sheet that ZenHerper left for you. Get the right enclose, the right lights and the right temperatures, and your tortoise will heal itself.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.

Get oxbow critical care fine grade. Mixed with hot water and fed by 3 inch rubber tube. Buy multiple small animal or sick bird feeders. Cut tube end to soft. Soft rubber tube diagonal or point.can lube with banana. Get in Slow gentle feed. Morning. Dinner. Amount teaspoon. Plus a warm bath any warm places to digest. If he is not well it can help. Of course read as much as possible about it. It’s hard at first but gets better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Set up a smaller, covered* enclosure (a hospital tank). . . maybe a plastic tub about the size of a 20 gallon aquarium. Using a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) on a thermostat set the temperature in the tub to be 85°F day and night. *Covered to keep the cool air from the house out and the warm air in. You can just jury rig some sort of temporary cover that includes the light and CHE, using a shower curtain or a sheet of plastic. I use two Zoo Med light stands, one at each end, and I run a piece of PVC between them to support the plastic. Tuck the plastic under the enclosure.

Living in this hospital tank with the steady temperature should get his core warmed up and symptoms should go away in about a week.

It's up to you, but I would not use anymore antibiotic during his stay in the 'hospital.'