Orchid bark or cypress mulch

Zac dale

Hi, I have a smallish Leopard tortoise, I have a choice of either using orchid bark or cypress mulch. I know that Leo's are desert / grassland species. So which is the best? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like them both, but here lately I haven't been able to find cypress mulch that's been ground up into smaller pieces - it's big chunks, and that's not to my liking. So lately my go to substrate has been fine grade orchid bark.

Zac dale

I like them both, but here lately I haven't been able to find cypress mulch that's been ground up into smaller pieces - it's big chunks, and that's not to my liking. So lately my go to substrate has been fine grade orchid bark.
I got the mulch from Zoo-Med which I think is good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Both
Orchid bark is great for smaller torts and babies....because it's small.
And Cypress mulch because it's cheap and works great for adults

Attachments

• 20170422_122830.jpg
    20170422_122830.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20170201_153702.jpg
    20170201_153702.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 47

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I use cypress in both my leopard and redfoot enclosures because it is readily available at big box stores here and it can be kept moist for the redfoot and younger leopards without molding, but also a bit drier without getting dusty for older leopard. I haven't tried orchid bark.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Both work well, it is more a choice based on local availability and price. Coco husk chunks work well too. I tend to use all three and replace with whatever looks oldest in the enclosure with something different. I replace just a small area at a time. I also have isopods in the enclosure to help clean up, so don't want to loose them.