Oregon tortoise newbie

JenLoCl90

Hi everyone I am brand new and have yet to own a tortoise but would really like to get my first fairly soon. I'm hoping for one who good for a newbie like me and hopefully won't go bigger than 40lbs or so..? Suggestions please!? Own my home in Gresham area and have indoor and plenty of outdoor space when it's nice out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations
Greek, russian and hermanns stay small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Jen.

A good first tortoise would be a russian.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

JenLoCl90

Thank you! My boyfriend has had one before but I've only had cats and dogs.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Leopard tortoises, though the 4th largest tortoise max out about the size of a rugby ball. Certainly less than 40 lbs. russians are a good choice for getting your feet wet but most are wild caught compared to Leo's which are captive raised. Gresham, you say? I'm east of Salem off hwy 213. We're neighbors relatively speaking.
You need to be warned straight away that tortoises are very addictive. I started with 1 and now I have 23.
Well done doing homework first and I'd like to encourage you when you are ready to get your tortoise to purchase it from one of the many fine folks here on the forum instead of a Petsmart/Petco or other type place.
The advantage is you get to see the sellers reputation here, plus you will get good after sale care and advice. I know various breeders up here that, although not on the forum, are reputable and members would back with a personal recommendation. Look what you got for saying hi! We're far and few up here, but for the most part we're good tortoise people up here. (Watch that Cowboy Ken guy though!).
Again, welcome.

JenLoCl90

Thanks so much. I would prefer to purchase local so I can visit before bringing one home to see set ups and what I would want for mine. Going to do a lot of yard work hopefully this summer. What do you guys think about giving your tortoise a "buddy"? Not at all interested in breeding them, just a pet or two.
So a little more about me, I show dogs and have for 13 years. I have 5 shelties and a cane corso (shelties are quite addicting as well lol) I train dogs professionally and have always had a love for critters.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keeping two tortoises hardly ever works out. Tortoises are solitary creatures and don't look for companionship. If they find another tortoise in their territory they fight to chase it out. Doesn't matter male, female, they don't want another tortoise in their territory.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Hey that's funny about the dog aspect of your life. A fellow PNW member does the same but with those African sight hounds that I can't think of the name.
As for buddies, myself and I would say most keepers would agree, are seen as a threat and or competition to another tortoise. The reptile that has parenting capacity let alone pack or herd mentality are few and far between. Tortoises don't fall into either category. They only want friends for Friday singles night at the club. Then their attitude is, “What? You're still here? Out ya goooooo!" Hope that made sense. I've got to get out and do some outside work before these clouds open up like they seem ready to do. Keep asking questions and I'll be back.

JenLoCl90

Haha ok I'm good with one. Was open to two if they liked companionship but totally not a big deal.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome from Vancouver, Wa! All good tortoise suggestions. So glad you will plan an outdoor area for part of the year.
Definitely watch Craigslist; there are often tortoises for rehoming.
We have local members who can help wit beak or claw trimming if needed.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome from Walla Walla Washington! I've had a Russian tortoise for a year and a half now and he's great.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ivan looks pretty good,will need a diet change if you get him.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. We have so many member that from Oregon. Good to have you here.

JenLoCl90

Figured as much. Lots of sugar currently. Maybe fruit once a week or every other.
Getting a little excited with all this research.

Quince Wood

Georgia
i too am doing alot of research and its realy exciting i cant wait till my sulcata arrives!!!