Organic Potting Mix okay to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I bought this Premier Nature Mix Organic Potting Soil at Lowes Home and Garden Store and when I got home I realized that there are little white balls in the soil. Will it harm my tortoises if I grow my clovers in it which will be in a pot inside their enclosure. Please help me figure this out.

Attachments

• IMG_1011[1].JPG
    IMG_1011[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1012[1].JPG
    IMG_1012[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Any soil with the little white balls or white chunks are not ok for use with a tortoise. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, tortoises find these white pieces edible and when ingested they cause impaction. I believe what you want would be organic top soil not organic potting soil. As far as ingestion goes, it's not a matter of if but when. Even in a planter, some will end up in the enclosure and for me, the risk out ways the usage. Take it back and get top soil. Even if opened, they should take it back for exchange.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thank you so much for your help, I will for sure take it back. I only want my tortoises to have the best and because I live in Canada its too cold outside so i have a big indoor tortoise table for them to get their exercise but they need something to graze on and my tortoises love clovers. I appreciate your help very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.