Organic Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sussex, WI
okay ... why organic seeds? My little 7 yr old nephew brought me some dandelion seeds the other day and I would like to plant em. Is this not a good idea? I think it will be funny to have Dandelion growing in the house!! People will think I have gone off the deep end!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
pebbles mom said:
okay ... why organic seeds? My little 7 yr old nephew brought me some dandelion seeds the other day and I would like to plant em. Is this not a good idea? I think it will be funny to have Dandelion growing in the house!! People will think I have gone off the deep end!
By organic people are refering to an absence of chemical fertilizer/herbicide/pesticide. If your nephew is like most of that age I'll bet the seeds were collected wild. Remember a weed is a plant out of place.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Yes he collected them from someones yard. So, even the seeds could be tainted with some kind of yuck? And if I were to plant and grow new dandy's it would still come thru? I have a green thumb but I really never had to be concerned about that stuff before. I will definitly check out the website for organic seeds! THANKS!!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I don't think you would have a problem. If they germinate, then they are good. Not many homes use a systemic herbicide and what they use for dandilions usually kills the plant and then degrades to harmless. Another possible collection area would be in an inacessable area for wheeled vehicles on public land.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Your welcome, Anja and Isa.
Pebbles mom, I have planted seeds I have both gathered and bought that don't claim to be organic and have had no problems feeding the plants to my torts. But recently I have found some seeds in stores are now being coated with fertilizers (CHEMICALS). I stay away from these. And I know quite a few people who are really into strictly organic gardening. Also this site has a very wide variety of seeds I have had difficulty finding elsewhere and here they are all in one spot, and I can buy a little or in bulk. Plus organic plant foods etc, and shipping is low for the USA.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn

I am looking for organic plant food. I checked on the site and I did not find any. Do you know the name of the product? I will search for it in the site.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Isa said:
Hello Robyn

I am looking for organic plant food. I checked on the site and I did not find any. Do you know the name of the product? I will search for it in the site.
It is in the section labeled Garden. Lakefish fertilizer, Maxicrop Seaweed, and QR-Herbal compost maker may be of interest.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Itort said:
Isa said:
Hello Robyn

It is in the section labeled Garden. Lakefish fertilizer, Maxicrop Seaweed, and QR-Herbal compost maker may be of interest.

Thanks Larry :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Just received two books yesterday (Edible Wild Plants and Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit) from Richters. Excellant references for my torts and myself. Highly reccomend.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Itort said:
Just received two books yesterday (Edible Wild Plants and Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruit) from Richters. Excellant references for my torts and myself. Highly reccomend.

It sounds interesting

Thanks Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.