Organic Soil and Canada Sphagnum for Hatchling Redfoots?

WildernessLofts

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Just curious if this would be an okay substrate for hatchlings. Home Depot has organic soil on sale for less than $3 a bag right now and Ace has Canada sphagnum for $13 for a large bag.

I could also get play sand or use coconut coir I already have. Of the four, what do you think would be the ideal mixture? Or maybe mix more than two?

If it makes a difference, I'm hoping to grow some grass in the enclosure and it will be indoors since Kansas starts to get cold this time of year.Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No soil. No sphagnum. No sand. All are bad and should never be used under tortoises. Also no need for a mix.

Fine grade orchid bark is best. With a nice thick layer, the bottom layers can be damp for humidity, while the top layers are dry to prevent shell rot which is so common in RFs.

Coco coir is safe to use, but its messy.

WildernessLofts

Kansas
No soil. No sphagnum. No sand. All are bad and should never be used under tortoises.

You mean as hatchlings, or period? Because I've seen a lot of websites suggesting various amounts of all of the above (or mixes of the above). Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You mean as hatchlings, or period? Because I've seen a lot of websites suggesting various amounts of all of the above (or mixes of the above). Thanks!
Period. Those websites are wrong and repeating old incorrect info. You'll also hear it from many vets, breeders, authors and experts. Its wrong. I used to recommend those things too. Know why? Because thats what I was taught and that is what I saw everyone else doing. It took decades to figure this all out the hard way. See my signature line?

Soil is made from composted yard waste. There is no way to know what its made of. Could be something toxic or irritating, and I've personally seen both. Its also turns to mud when wet, and gets very dusty when dry. It also typically has lots of additives like fertilizers or perlite, which is deadly to torts.

Sphagnum can literally rot their plastron, even in species that are not prone to shell rot. Seen it first hand.

Sand is a huge impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. I work with several exotic vets because of my career. Have you ever seen a sand impaction surgery? I have. No thanks.

Feel free to question this. Argue it even. I don't mind. I'll explain further if needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I can't happen to find orchid/fir bark locally, is there an acceptable substitute?
if need be you can order Repti-Bark from Chewy or Petco. If you don't like that option, cypress mulch can work. And coco coir works, but hand pack it down to make it less messy.

Tortoise newbee

Los Angeles County
No soil. No sphagnum. No sand. All are bad and should never be used under tortoises. Also no need for a mix.

Fine grade orchid bark is best. With a nice thick layer, the bottom layers can be damp for humidity, while the top layers are dry to prevent shell rot which is so common in RFs.

Coco coir is safe to use, but its messy.

Tortoise newbee

Los Angeles County
I use loose coconut fiber substrate put out by Zoo-Med. Can order online My Russian loves to dig and bury herself. This bedding is perfect for that.