Organic soil question

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I bought Russian Tortoise seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply and some organic soil from Wal Mart. When I opened the bag of organic soil it has the white pellets in it. Than I read on the bag it has the following ingredients, sphagnum peat moss, horticultural vermiculite, perlite & organic wetting agent. I want to use the soil to plant the RT grass seed mix in to put in Boris's cage for him to eat but don't think it's as organic as it needs to be. Any thoughts from any one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises will try to eat the perlite. Maybe you could use it but top-dress it with bark or something to hide the perlite????

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sounds like what you got was a bag of potting soil. I'd recommend not using it anywhere the tortoise could get to it. Tortoises will and do eat those white pellets, and when they do, in a matter of time they block from it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. You bought the wrong stuff. I would not use that. Tortoises die from impaction from eating perlite.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Look for Topsoil. Just make sure it does not have animal products (manure) or chemical fertilizers in it.
You can find versions at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware.