organic squash baby food

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I found a great way to get my tort butternut squash--baby food (just squash and water). This way I don't even have to cook and chop it up! He needs it bite size so it's a lot of work. So, this is all smashed up and ready to eat! I got a jar for 65 cents and since he's so little I still need to freeze a lot of it. This is a great deal for us and the easiest way to feed it. Still messy though! He loves it and I'm happy too.

I also found a can of mashed butternut squash at Whole Foods, but it's a larger amount and more expensive. That's a great option for larger torts who eat more of it.

I guess a food processor is another option but we don't have one (or a blender or a masher).

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Nope. Just squash and water! I would sure hope no one feed their baby added sugar. :) I assume it's the same nutrition as frozen squash...probably even better as it's in a jar. Not as good as fresh, but definitely easy.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I love the organic babyfood in winter squash, butternut squash and garden veg for Lil'Bit. It works well if you spred it on a leaf of greens also if you put it on a paper plate or towel it will leach some of the fluid out making it more paste like for an easier spread. It's also great to soak your hatchlings or a sick torty in a 50/50 mix of the babyfood and water.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I put it on the lettuce too. It makes him pee pee every time! I guess that's a good thing because it helps with the hydration.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I love this sort of stuff for an emergency food supply, or to help administer meds or water, etc.

Tortoisetrust.org has a bit in their on-line class that I had not thought of- they had a question about the digestability of foods where the cell walls had been damaged- frozen, purees, finely chopped, etc. Their thought was that food like this would be digested more rapidly, possibly causing diarrhea or other stomach troubles, or decreasing the nutrition that would be absorbed from it.

I think they MAY have a point- something that might be worth some investigation and experimentation. In the meantime, I have been playing with keeping foods as whole as possible for my Red-foots and so far I have been very happy with the results.

On the other hand, like I said, I think stuff like this has a real value in an 'emergency foods' kit and for other purposes. I am also not sure the above stuff is really a concern- just thought I would throw it out.

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I've looked for it a few times at different grocery stores and I haven't been able to find it. Is there any certain brand I should be looking for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gerber and Beechnut are two that come to mind. You find them in the grocery store at the baby food isle.

gerber.jpg

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I went to a health food store that only carried organic, and they had two brands of butternut squash...I bought the one on sale. I have not seen Gerber carry too many organics, and not butternut squash.

Status
Not open for further replies.