organic top soil

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble finding truly plain old organic top soil,i cannot find it any where it will say organic in bid letter then below in small type nutrients added,i have my enclosure all finished finally after being sick for so long i found good clean fir nugget mulch but this top soil thing is driving me nuts,and i don't want to post any pics till it's finished correctly,so please let me know if i'm just being to picky or looking at the wrong time of year,your help would be so so helpful

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble finding truly plain old organic top soil,i cannot find it any where it will say organic in bid letter then below in small type nutrients added,i have my enclosure all finished finally after being sick for so long i found good clean fir nugget mulch but this top soil thing is driving me nuts,and i don't want to post any pics till it's finished correctly,so please let me know if i'm just being to picky or looking at the wrong time of year,your help would be so so helpful
I tried to find some at home depot over the weekend to start some water lily seeds in. Couldn't find any so I wound up settling for non-organic. I was surprised just how much plastic trash was mixed into it.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
I tried to find some at home depot over the weekend to start some water lily seeds in. Couldn't find any so I wound up settling for non-organic. I was surprised just how much plastic trash was mixed into it.
i agree but i'm wanting to mix it with the mulch in his new enclosure so i'm afraid of him getting sick if I use anything else if anyone has a idea i would really love to here it i have searched no less than 8 or 10 stores in person and online

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I'd avoid it all together. Use coco coir.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
I'd avoid it all together. Use coco coir.
Ok i'll look into it does it matter that this is not a inside table this is a outside enclosure in the Florida humidity and heat?thanks again for your advice

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I am not sure how you're using it so I can't say for sure. Top soil is strongly frowned upon by most of the experts here on the forum. Mostly for the reasons you and I have already discussed. Who knows what its made from and it can be full of trash.
I use the coco coir under fir bark in my indoor juvenile enclosures. I haven't used it outside but I would guess that it would be better than top soil, especially if it got real wet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soil of any kind shouldn't be used under tortoises. Its made from composted yard waste, and all sorts of other weird ingredients you've never heard of, and the manufacturers ad sellers do not intend for small animals to be living on it.

Oleander and azaleas are 100% organic, but also 100% toxic. There are many toxic plants like this. Any of these could be in the soil mix you buy at the store. Don't risk it.

Coir is great, but messy. I prefer fine grade orchid bark for most applications. It can get rained on and wet with no ill effect. Just make sure you have drainage.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Soil of any kind shouldn't be used under tortoises. Its made from composted yard waste, and all sorts of other weird ingredients you've never heard of, and the manufacturers ad sellers do not intend for small animals to be living on it.

Oleander and azaleas are 100% organic, but also 100% toxic. There are many toxic plants like this. Any of these could be in the soil mix you buy at the store. Don't risk it.

Coir is great, but messy. I prefer fine grade orchid bark for most applications. It can get rained on and wet with no ill effect. Just make sure you have drainage.
Thanks Tom where do you get you orchid grade bark they only sell it in tiny bags and it costs a fortune unless i'm over looking another source

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Thanks Tom where do you get you orchid grade bark they only sell it in tiny bags and it costs a fortune unless i'm over looking another source
Where are you in Florida? You can get giant bags at OFE orchid supplies in Homestead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people have trouble finding it in other parts of the country. People grow orchids every where, and lots of people in Florida do, so it should be available in bulk there. Looks like dd33 has already made one suggestion for where to find it.

If you can't find it in bulk, or order it, from a local nursery, you can buy it online from Petco.com or Chewy.com in 24 quart bags. Its called "Repti-Bark" on the packaging, but it is pure fine grade orchid bark.