Ornate wood turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpadams555

5 Year Member
I got this ornate wood turtle from a local pet shop. Its only about 2" and it does not want to eat ive tried everything i know its been like 2 weeks. The guy at the store says they need mostly water but everything ive read says the opposite. For now its in a 3'x4' enclosure with a very large water dish and also in with a baby eastern box. It seems a little active itll roam around go in and out of the water. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
jpadams555 said:
I got this ornate wood turtle from a local pet shop. Its only about 2" and it does not want to eat ive tried everything i know its been like 2 weeks. The guy at the store says they need mostly water but everything ive read says the opposite. For now its in a 3'x4' enclosure with a very large water dish and also in with a baby eastern box. It seems a little active itll roam around go in and out of the water. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

I don't know about wood turtles but you should put what you are trying to feed it, how the lighting is, when you try to feed it...basically as much info as you can so the experts will not have to ask and you will not have to wait for answers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi JP:

I don't keep the wood turtles, but I did have several here at the rescue a while back looking to re-home.

What I read about their keep, and in talking with others who knew how to keep them, was to keep them in a fairly wet habitat. To accomplish this, I placed a couple bricks under one end of a very large plastic bin, then I put some sort of barrier about halfway across the middle of the tub. I put cypress mulch on the top half above the barrier, and filled the bottom half with water. The barrier wasn't to keep the turtle in or out, it was to try to keep the substrate on the top half and out of the water. This worked out very well.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I don't know if you have have tried this or not but they seem to eat things that are colorful and move so you might want to try cut up worms or strawberries.

Status
Not open for further replies.