Ornate Wood Turtles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wexford, Ireland
Hi everyone, I've been given the opportunity to buy these two turtles. In fact, I can pick them up tomorrow if I want :) They are being sold very cheaply and include what the seller describes as "everything they need". She also describes them as tortoises and going by their picture they are being kept in very dry conditions...... which I presume is all wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong) The tortoise table they are in is 4x2 ft so judging by that I would estimate them to be approx. 4-5 inches.

Does anybody here have any experience with these? The research I have done on google is very positive describing them as friendly and willing to try lots of different foods.... I am positive that I could give them a better home, but I don't know anyone else who keeps them..... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I keep hermanns and a baby sulcata, but I just can't bear to see these beauties like this............IMG_1008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
Well I have them home now..... There is a large/deep container of water in their table and they haven't left it yet..... I think it's the first time that they have been able to 'get into' water. I had a container of blueberries and gave that to them and they munched away on those. They are very light for their size and very skinny, but I'm used to tortoises so I'm not sure if they are meant to be like that or not.

Time will tell I suppose......... I'll post pictures soon. :)

Well, here are some pictures :)

I know that I definitely have one boy, but could anyone hazard a guess about the other?
Thanks.

DSC02289-1.jpg

DSC02291-2.jpg

DSC02293-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice enclosure. Did you get it too?

What I would do if it were me setting them up would be to elevate one end of the tub slightly by placing a folded napkin under one end. Then fill the lower end with water. You can use some sort of moss for traction. Then you can have your moistened cypress mulch on the upper end, a hiding place, food dish, etc.

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
Thanks Terry, Thanks Yvonne.
The plastic tub came with them but everything else was provided by me. They were in the tub with dry orchid bark and nothing else.

Here is a larger view of the setup . They have their water filthy already :) I've changed it twice already, but they are loving soaking in it.

DSC02298.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That turned out real nice. They must feel like they've died and gone to heaven!

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
Thanks Yvonne. I hope they do.... I know it's not that fancy, but it much better then they did have.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
The enclosure looks great compared to before!
I wonder how long wood turtles can survive without bathing in water?
But they look great! Love the color on their shell. Very pretty.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Good luck and I would Thank the LORD for them :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.