Other New Russan

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, so here is the story. Two days ago I went to the pet store to get mice. I came home with Rosie the Russan. "See other post". Well there was another one that was housed with her. I went back yesterday for my wolfs food, and guess what. My boyfriend would not leave me alone, so we now have the other Russan! Now, he has to build the outdoor enclosure for me. I have him in a separate enclosure inside for now. He dose seem to have a few issues. I have noticed his shell has some chips in it and his beak needs trimmed. I am going to feed him on a stone for now and see if that works. He also feels a bit lite as she did too. Here are his pics.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Herbert weighs 458 grams and is 5 1/2 to 6 inches long. Is that an appropriate weight for him. Not sure on his age yet. I have to stop back at the pet store and see if they can research where he came from and age. They did say he came from the corporate office or corporate was the ones that put him on sale "$45 because of membership" .

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I am thinking about it. Would be nice to have babies around and I know people are looking for them. I don't have them together now but they were together at the pet store. Rosie is only 4 1/2 inches, l think she might be younger then he is.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
at four and a half inches roses going to have to put on two or three inches before she can even think about breeding.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
That's what I thought. She only weights 351 grams but is a eating machin. I feed her twice a day right now and waiting for the turtle food to come in to add to both of their diets. So far Herbert has only ate once that I can tell. He is in a separate enclosure but I have to make a bigger one for him. Should I put him back with her since he was already housed with her at the pet store? I know they should be housed separately? But I am a bit worried since he is not eating yet. All he does is hide until I take him out.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
The food I ordered was Marzuri and the todisto "spelled wrong I bet" seed mix to start for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Cheryl...you're really 'getting with the program!' You go girl!!!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, here is an update. I put more food out for Herbert yesterday and had to leave for the day. When I got back home, it was gone. I tried putting more out in the evening but he has not eaten it yet. At least I know he is eating something.
As for Rosie, she eats everything. I put a half egg in there last night, with the shell, this morning she was munching down on it. I put her spring mix in and she ignored that until she finished the egg, she'll and all. I think they will both do fine! Can't wait till I can get outdoors and build their outside enclosure. Herbert is still shy and hides most of the time but Rosie, she hears me and looks . Still goes in her she'll and don't want to be touched yet, but she looks.
I talked to the pet store I got them from " Pet Supply Plus" , and they said these were domestic bread. They are going to try and find out their ages for me. I am so excited and happy to have them. I am going outside today and see what weeds I can find for them, don't know if I will though, it is winter here. Still waiting for there other food to come in.

Experience780

Eggs? This is the first I've heard of this. What is the benefit of them eating egg? I can get eggs easy

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, it really was for the box turtles but she ate it. They can get needed calcium from the shell and some protein from the egg. But I did not give her a lot. Only once in a while. I really didn't think she would eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Herbert's beak and weight don't look too bad. He does not look "domestic bred" to me. Its just speculation and guessing, but that shell looks wild caught to me.