our baby hingebacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Hatched these guys about 2 weeks ago. Our first hinges. Lovely little things.
We have 5 now and one egg still cooking.

522543_4515202792134_688266216_n.jpg

johnny1-1.jpg

j4.jpg

j3.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Sweet! What temps and how did you incubate? How long did they take? Have they started eating for you yet?

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Yeah they all started eating 2 days after hatching. Have them on Nutrazu pellets, bit of mushroom,greens and one even devoured a tiny slug. Incubated at 27.5c, 80+ humidity and the first hatched at 148days, the last exactly 2 weeks after so it's been a long exciting wait.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know, they take so long sometimes you forget about the eggs. :rolleyes:

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
yeah the last egg must have went through some kind of diapause at the start because it was always a good bit behind in development when we candled. Still looks good though so fingers crossed we will get 100% success from this clutch.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A diapause? As you don't think you found them right away or your temps may have been unstable at first?

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
A diapause? As you don't think you found them right away or your temps may have been unstable at first?

She dug a nest in the garden, it was cool out so we put a lamp out over her. It took her at least 3hours just to dig the nest, this egg could have been dropped first. We think it's important to let her fill in the nest also to complete the process before removing eggs. Filling in took well over an hour, this egg could have been the longest exposed to the cool temps and delayed its start up. That's the only explanation I can think of because as soon as she walked away we dug them out. Ah sure time will tell. Btw, Do you keep your hatchlings together or separate, I've been getting some conflicting advice?
Night night.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Diapause? No......Some Eggs take longer to hatch. I've had many different Reptile species hatch 2,3,4, sometimes more after the first Egg in the clutch pipped. Its a survival strategy so the whole nest is not wiped out when they first emerge.......

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
Diapause? No......Some Eggs take longer to hatch. I've had many different Reptile species hatch 2,3,4, sometimes more after the first Egg pipped. Its a survival strategy so the whole nest is not wiped out when they first emerge.......

I understand that but these species are known to diapause. The 5 out hatched two weeks apart which is what your talking about but this seems to be way behind, I could be totally wrong and it could pip tomorrow but from the start it didn't develop anywhere near ye others. It was weeks after the others that we started to see the ring of life and then membranes.
Interestingly the smallest egg was the leader and hatched first. He is tiny and hatched at 10gs.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mick could you share with us how many days each took to pip and then hatch, along with their hatching weights? Did you weigh them as eggs as well?

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Egg No 1: Pipped 148 days, hatched 151 days. Hatching weight 10g. Yesterdays weight 13g
Egg No 2: Pipped 159 days, hatched 159 days. Hatchling weight 12g. Yesterdays weight 20g
Egg No 3: Pipped 159 days, hatched 159 days. Hatchling weight 12g. Yesterdays weight 20g
Egg No 4: Pipped 163 days, hatched 164 days. Hatchling weight 14g. Yesterdays weight 18g
Egg No 5: Pipped 168 days, hatched 169 days. Hatchling weight 12g. Yesterdays weight 17g
Egg No 6: Still incubating.
No 1 egg we had to assist as after 3 days he was getting frustrated.This was the smallest egg as as you can see hasn't gained as much weight as it should. Bit of a weakling but we're keeping a good eye on him.

No we never weighed the eggs, we candled them on occasion to check their progress. I've a few pics of candling if you'd like me to share.

Here she is laying them, she started digging a 3pm, abandoned first nest and changed position. Dug new nest and started laying 9:20pm. We put a heat lamp out over her.

IMG_1698.jpg

EgyptianDan helped me out identifying what was happening in the eggs at the time. Thanks again.

Early signs of life. Note the red "ring of life". About 3 weeks in.

IMG_1686.jpg

This is about 1 month into incubation. You can see the red veins.

IMG_1685.jpg

These were taken about 4 weeks prior to hatching.

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

This was the smallest egg and first to hatch. Taken a week before pipping. The red line is the embryo pulling down the membrane getting ready to hatch.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Here's another shortly before hatching.

IMG_1898.jpg

What we found amazing is there is no consistency when candling. They all look so different, whether it was the airsack position and size or the amount of veins or the embryo position. Even right up to hatching they were all so different.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nice pictures and thanks very much for sharing them!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With the Homes they are having no problems together. For the Bells (and once more this is what I can remember from the past, as these days I seem to have a block on hatching Bells), I had two clutches. I kept them all together for quite some time, then with the first group one of them started becoming very aggressive towards the smallest one. We are talking like at 4-6 months of age, may be less. Once they got older, it seemed to not be a problem.

My thought was the small feet and tails remind them of the wild food they would naturally be hunting in the wild. As they get older, their tastes become more wider and they are not so fast to snap at anything that moves.

I think also more natural habitats would help with that, as the other guy's body parts would be more hidden. I know one of the folks who had serious issues with this, had their hatchlings on paper towels or was it newspaper, but you get the idea. The folks who have not had problems tend to go more natural.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Here's some more pics of the babies having a bath.
All seem to be doing well and all eating and putting on weight, some more than others but they're all increasing which is good.

IMG_2195_zpse036ac4e.jpg

IMG_2196_zpsc702529f.jpg

IMG_2197_zpsf540c31c.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
PHP:
Rub a dub dub five torts in a tub (okay so two tubs) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.