Our Baby Tortoise Died

MyTortoiseNugget

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
My 12-year-old has had a baby Sulcata Tortoise since June 25th. We always refer “him” even though we don’t really know. He was a hatchling when we got him. We live in western Kansas and I should have considered our limited vet care more closely. We thought his neck started shedding a couple of weeks ago. He also lost some of the toenails on his back legs. He’s been lethargic and eating less for several days but we thought that may have been focusing energy on shedding. Early yesterday evening, he stopped moving. His limbs and head aren’t floppy but they are very retracted. He looks like he’s sleeping but no longer responds to touch or getting spritzed with water. He didn’t respond when I briefly laid him on his back to take pictures. He has a 30 gallon (I think) tank with a UV light and basking light. We’ve been feeding him a mix of plant leaves and organic greens and cacti from the store. We just planted aloe vera and the oat grass (both organic) in his enclosure. We sprinkled calcium on his food approximately once a week but may have missed some weeks. His substrate is cypress mulch and ZooMed reptile soil. We wet the soil each day and spritz him twice a day. Humidity is usually in the low 40s during the day (because I didn’t want his soil to be too wet) and has been in the low to mid 50s after his lights go off at night. The lights are on a timer that comes on at 8:00 AM and goes off at 8:00 PM. We didn’t soak him in warm water; I only recently noticed that when reading this forum. We got him at a reptile store in Kansas City. We want to learn from this experience so we can do better if we decide to try again with an older tortoise and, of course, larger enclosure. I got so fascinated watching Nugget eat. My boy is heartbroken and I want to do what I can to help him through this.

Attachments

• F6280907-417F-423A-BAD4-45A36695BBC4.jpeg
    F6280907-417F-423A-BAD4-45A36695BBC4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 3F3B5723-9CDF-4D22-97A3-497032121A6E.jpeg
    3F3B5723-9CDF-4D22-97A3-497032121A6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 51D7256F-F29B-4C4C-ADAA-D8F8EE450A2B.jpeg
    51D7256F-F29B-4C4C-ADAA-D8F8EE450A2B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • CA32F885-820C-41A0-B83D-6E2E0D0410E5.jpeg
    CA32F885-820C-41A0-B83D-6E2E0D0410E5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 8DD74882-D5BC-44BE-9541-93F4A0ED6EFA.jpeg
    8DD74882-D5BC-44BE-9541-93F4A0ED6EFA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Southern California
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be here to comment soon. There has been a disease going around people have been discussing called Austwickia that involves peeling skin, loss of toenails, and yellow bumps. I would be interested to see if anyone finds this case to sound similar. @mastershake

If you choose to get another tortoise where you buy it from and how it was started (with lots of hydration!!) is everything in the grand scheme of your success with that baby. If you stick around and read, you will definitely get the information you need to be more successful in the future should you decide to try again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. It does sound like austwickia sadly. You should contact the breeder you got him from and let them know that they likely have this highly contagious disease and they should not sell any more babies.
@mastershake can give better instructions on what to do that either you could do or let the breeder know.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss. If and when you decide to get another tortoise there are many breeders on the forum who sell healthy well started tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry for your loss. If and when you decide to get another tortoise there are many breeders on the forum who sell healthy well started tortoises.
Yes but everything you used for this tortoise would have to be sanitized or new bought or its possible the disease, if it is AW could spread to your new one.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My 12-year-old has had a baby Sulcata Tortoise since June 25th. We always refer “him” even though we don’t really know. He was a hatchling when we got him. We live in western Kansas and I should have considered our limited vet care more closely. We thought his neck started shedding a couple of weeks ago. He also lost some of the toenails on his back legs. He’s been lethargic and eating less for several days but we thought that may have been focusing energy on shedding. Early yesterday evening, he stopped moving. His limbs and head aren’t floppy but they are very retracted. He looks like he’s sleeping but no longer responds to touch or getting spritzed with water. He didn’t respond when I briefly laid him on his back to take pictures. He has a 30 gallon (I think) tank with a UV light and basking light. We’ve been feeding him a mix of plant leaves and organic greens and cacti from the store. We just planted aloe vera and the oat grass (both organic) in his enclosure. We sprinkled calcium on his food approximately once a week but may have missed some weeks. His substrate is cypress mulch and ZooMed reptile soil. We wet the soil each day and spritz him twice a day. Humidity is usually in the low 40s during the day (because I didn’t want his soil to be too wet) and has been in the low to mid 50s after his lights go off at night. The lights are on a timer that comes on at 8:00 AM and goes off at 8:00 PM. We didn’t soak him in warm water; I only recently noticed that when reading this forum. We got him at a reptile store in Kansas City. We want to learn from this experience so we can do better if we decide to try again with an older tortoise and, of course, larger enclosure. I got so fascinated watching Nugget eat. My boy is heartbroken and I want to do what I can to help him through this.
So very very sorry about poor Nugget. Please make sure your son knows that it isn't his fault in any way that this happened. The disease was in his body right from the start, and there doesn't seem to be anything that can cure it at present. Nothing you could have done that would have stopped it.
I do hope you will consider in the future having another tortoise - does it have to be a sulcata ? So far other tortoises don't seem to be affected by this disease as often. Our Hermanns tortoise, who is now 22, has been a joy to us since he was a baby, and there are other varieties who are lovely too - and none of them are as large as a sulcata, so are easier to accommodate when they get older. In any case, you will have to disinfect all your equipment and anything you may have handled connected with him. I think there are special instructions for doing this on the forum somewhere.
Angie

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
im driving right now i will def get with you when i get back. so sorry for the delay.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry for your loss :(

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Sorry for your loss!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We all hate seeing these posts and we all are hurt more than most, when one of our little guys dies.

Welcome and sorry that your first post had to be so sad. Please take the time to read the care sheets and ask ?'s before you decide to get another, of any type. There is a huge amount of talent here let them help you.......so your next thread will be a happy one!

good luck!

jeff

MyTortoiseNugget

Kansas
Thank you all for your kind words. I wish we had found this forum sooner. It definitely has a wealth of resources and very knowledgeable participants. My son registered for an account so he can learn more about tortoises while he heals. I didn’t even know to look for yellow spots on Nugget’s legs until I started reading this forum yesterday. We would likely start fresh with a larger enclosure that is easier to move outdoors and new enclosure fixtures just to make sure we don’t pass anything to another tortoise. (I am sure the disinfecting instructions would be great but this has been a little traumatic.) I also started looking at threads about tortoise tables (which my son and husband could build) and have bookmarked several of the care sheets. I’m fascinated by the idea of building an outdoor enclosure. One of the vet’s offices I called recommended reaching out to a nearby zoo which had not crossed my mind as a resource. We’ve learned some valuable lessons through this experience that we can (hopefully) apply in the future to a new tortoise.

Southern California
Thank you all for your kind words. I wish we had found this forum sooner. It definitely has a wealth of resources and very knowledgeable participants. My son registered for an account so he can learn more about tortoises while he heals. I didn’t even know to look for yellow spots on Nugget’s legs until I started reading this forum yesterday. We would likely start fresh with a larger enclosure that is easier to move outdoors and new enclosure fixtures just to make sure we don’t pass anything to another tortoise. (I am sure the disinfecting instructions would be great but this has been a little traumatic.) I also started looking at threads about tortoise tables (which my son and husband could build) and have bookmarked several of the care sheets. I’m fascinated by the idea of building an outdoor enclosure. One of the vet’s offices I called recommended reaching out to a nearby zoo which had not crossed my mind as a resource. We’ve learned some valuable lessons through this experience that we can (hopefully) apply in the future to a new tortoise.
Take your time and read lots! Time will help you prepare better and also help reduce the chance of cross-contamination between this sick baby that has passed and any newcomer you bring home.

I hope your son will enjoy reading about different species and how they are cared for and it builds both your confidence. Each species has different husbandry requirements and you will find that an open top table is not generally recommended for Sulcatas. Just warning you before you invest to start over. Zoos (in my inexperienced opinion) can be very hit or miss; our local zoo was posting a cute picture on social media of how much Desert Tortoises LOOVE tomatoes- and that is terrible advice! Most vets appear to be woefully undereducated about reptiles and tortoises also. I know it can be overwhelming. I like to find people that have experience personally raising them to get my advice- there are lots here!

Like @zolasmum said there are soo many wonderful species to choose from! You might find that something other than a Sulcata might suit you better. They are the easiest and cheapest to find, but this forum taught me they are not the best pet for most people. They get XLarge, destructive, and require heating all winter, never brumating. So many people just throw them in their backyard here that 5 years ago I didn't realize they actually needed a heated home! Just food for thought! Many people love Sulcatas, but their outdoor time could be limited in your climate (assuming Kansas sees some cold weather!) if you are dreaming of an outdoor enclosure. I love my Greek tortoises and they can take much more cold!

Wishing you the best of luck moving forward.

RhodaE

Thousand Oaks, CA
Sorry to hear about your story. When my kids were very young, we adopted a leopard tortoise that was already about 10" long, about 12-15 years old. Living in CA, he was very easy to care for, mainly just keeping him safe from danger and warm at night. As my daughter got older, she bought a baby leopard tortoise of her own. She is very diligent and we did everything we thought we were supposed to, but he didn't thrive and even after vet trips, passed away. She was so bummed. Our experience led me to believe that adopting an older tortoise is a lovely way to begin! Also the other suggestions on here about selecting a smaller breed, sounds like a good idea. Logistics are important, and large tortoises require significant logistics. With a smaller one, you might be able to take him to a breeder in his tank, to pet-sit during a trip. With a large tortoise, we have to find a petsitter willing to come to our house, haul him in and out of his garage pen to the yard (we moved to TN), and scoop up his significant droppings. Not easy to find willing and qualified care. We had a neighbor kid do it once and a gate was left ajar...we came home to no tortoise, finally he was found blocks away with a chip off his shell. Good luck with your next tortoise!

MyTortoiseNugget

Kansas
Take your time and read lots! Time will help you prepare better and also help reduce the chance of cross-contamination between this sick baby that has passed and any newcomer you bring home.

I hope your son will enjoy reading about different species and how they are cared for and it builds both your confidence. Each species has different husbandry requirements and you will find that an open top table is not generally recommended for Sulcatas. Just warning you before you invest to start over. Zoos (in my inexperienced opinion) can be very hit or miss; our local zoo was posting a cute picture on social media of how much Desert Tortoises LOOVE tomatoes- and that is terrible advice! Most vets appear to be woefully undereducated about reptiles and tortoises also. I know it can be overwhelming. I like to find people that have experience personally raising them to get my advice- there are lots here!

Like @zolasmum said there are soo many wonderful species to choose from! You might find that something other than a Sulcata might suit you better. They are the easiest and cheapest to find, but this forum taught me they are not the best pet for most people. They get XLarge, destructive, and require heating all winter, never brumating. So many people just throw them in their backyard here that 5 years ago I didn't realize they actually needed a heated home! Just food for thought! Many people love Sulcatas, but their outdoor time could be limited in your climate (assuming Kansas sees some cold weather!) if you are dreaming of an outdoor enclosure. I love my Greek tortoises and they can take much more cold!

Wishing you the best of luck moving forward.
Greek, Russian and Hermann tortoises are on the future consideration list because they seem to be more temperature hardy but we’ll keep researching our options. Kansas definitely gets some cold weather in the winter (sometimes negative temps before the wind chill). Spring and fall can be beautiful but erratic and summers can get very hot (over 100 degrees). It’s also dry. Brumating is a new term for me so I am learning about that, too. My son and husband are great at building projects and have even taught me some building skills!

MyTortoiseNugget

Kansas
Sorry to hear about your story. When my kids were very young, we adopted a leopard tortoise that was already about 10" long, about 12-15 years old. Living in CA, he was very easy to care for, mainly just keeping him safe from danger and warm at night. As my daughter got older, she bought a baby leopard tortoise of her own. She is very diligent and we did everything we thought we were supposed to, but he didn't thrive and even after vet trips, passed away. She was so bummed. Our experience led me to believe that adopting an older tortoise is a lovely way to begin! Also the other suggestions on here about selecting a smaller breed, sounds like a good idea. Logistics are important, and large tortoises require significant logistics. With a smaller one, you might be able to take him to a breeder in his tank, to pet-sit during a trip. With a large tortoise, we have to find a petsitter willing to come to our house, haul him in and out of his garage pen to the yard (we moved to TN), and scoop up his significant droppings. Not easy to find willing and qualified care. We had a neighbor kid do it once and a gate was left ajar...we came home to no tortoise, finally he was found blocks away with a chip off his shell. Good luck with your next tortoise!
My son also came to the conclusion that an older tortoise would be more appropriate for our knowledge and experience. My mom usually helps us with animal care when we travel but sometimes we go on vacation together so logistics will definitely be important. I’m so glad you found your tortoise when the gate was left ajar and his injuries/damage were relatively minor. I have a dog that LOVES to explore but was surprised how much torts like to explore and their sometimes impressive (and scary) ability to climb/escape.

MyTortoiseNugget

Kansas
The people on this forum are incredible! I read forum posts far later into the night than I probably should have yesterday. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and expertise. It boosts my confidence in trying this again.

snowman04

Saline
Really sorry to hear. Sounds like your son is going to make the best of it and learn all he can before jumping back in. I did the same after losing my red foot a few years ago. It really has helped me with my new little Greek... You won't find better tortoise people than on this forum!

RhodaE

Thousand Oaks, CA
The people on this forum are incredible! I read forum posts far later into the night than I probably should have yesterday. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and expertise. It boosts my confidence in trying this again.
Tortoise people are pretty awesome. We used to occasionally attend some exhibitions of the SoCal "Turtle and Tortoise Club" and gosh was that informative. They did a great job of really illustrating with actual samples of all the how-to's and "what-not-to'do's". We learned so much. I also called the leader of a tortoise rescue ranch, David Friend (I believe he has since passed) and he was super helpful and invited us to come visit his place in Ojai. You might also make such connections and visit a place like that. I once spoke with Richard Fife, expert and author on tortoise care, along with his brother Jerry; he is a super nice guy based in Arizona. I got a book from him that he very nicely signed.