Our first clutch started to hatch

želva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia
@Tom are we doing it right ?

We feed them mostly grass with a bit of chicory and with a bit of grated pumpkin every so often.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Such amazing and beautiful pictures!!On the very first pic what was the Orange looking thing the baby tort was sitting on? Trying to learn all I can incase my little ones hatch (you'd think Id laid the eggs myself☺️) Ive only got 2 incubating and im on tenterhooks, couldn't cope with 17 lol

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
it doesn't really look like pyramiding to me! just remember to soak daily for 20+ minutes and keep humidity at 80%+
Okay humidity is enough, we only soak them for about 15 minutes, would lengthen that, thank you for advice.

Such amazing and beautiful pictures!!On the very first pic what was the Orange looking thing the baby tort was sitting on? Trying to learn all I can incase my little ones hatch (you'd think Id laid the eggs myself☺️) Ive only got 2 incubating and im on tenterhooks, couldn't cope with 17 lol
That is yolk, when tortoises start hatching they usually only peek head outside and would remain in eggshell until yolk is more or less absorbed (if i'm wrong somebody correct me please), but we took them out from shell so they wouldn't eat vermiculite. We have 25 more incubating, but they seem a bit slower developing.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think they look great! I really don't see any signs of pyramiding, but I am NOT an expert at all. I'll be interested to see what others think! :p

Gosh, they're CUTE!!!!:)

katfinlou

5 Year Member
That is truly an amazing picture! They are just so beautiful and perfect and everything!!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Absolutely gorgeous, can't believe how much they've grown already! :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats! ! ! !even is little late! ! ! !

How are they doing now!!

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
@bouaboua they doing great, love to eat :D
only one has a bit deformed shell, will try to take photos, but all other are perfect shaped, without any split scales
eggs from second clutch are a bit weird, they took really long time to start hatching, they aren't white as first clutch, they are really light beige colour, and the eggshell is a bit gritty, but up to now 10 hatched anyway

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
@bouaboua they doing great, love to eat :D
only one has a bit deformed shell, will try to take photos, but all other are perfect shaped, without any split scales
eggs from second clutch are a bit weird, they took really long time to start hatching, they aren't white as first clutch, they are really light beige colour, and the eggshell is a bit gritty, but up to now 10 hatched anyway
Sounds wonderful! ! !

Congrats! ! ! ! ! !