Our first clutch started to hatch

želva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia
So now both first and second clutch hatched, first one with 100% success rate, 17 out of 17. And second one wit 72% success rate, 18 out of 25, i think three or four looked fully developed, but didn't come out and the rest were empty.
For now they all growing nice, with nice smooth shells. And only one have split scute, and it's so adorable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love em. I'd keep the splitty personally. @Tom. Do sulcata have a low survival rate in the wild.

No one knows the answer to this question. Almost nothing is known about them in the wild. My friend Tomas has only ever even seen three hatchlings in the wild. All on the same day and in the area where they had previously previously introduced subadults.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No one knows the answer to this question. Almost nothing is known about them in the wild. My friend Tomas has only ever even seen three hatchlings in the wild. All on the same day and in the area where they had previously previously introduced subadults.
Really. That surprised me. I thought the knowledge of the sulcata was good. I just wondered with them having high egg counts in there clutches if survival from juvenile was poor due to predator's in the wild. Do you find when a clutch hatch they all hatch within a few days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really. That surprised me. I thought the knowledge of the sulcata was good. I just wondered with them having high egg counts in there clutches if survival from juvenile was poor due to predator's in the wild. Do you find when a clutch hatch they all hatch within a few days.

Odd isn't it? They are the most numerous species in the world now, but we know almost nothing about their secluded lives in the wild.

Pure speculation tells me that attrition rates in the wild are high.

I've had clutches take two weeks to hatch from first to last. Its kind of nice. You get a few new ones per day to deal with instead of dozens all at once.