Our first rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROTJob

5 Year Member
My wife and I have had 2 male Russians for about a year and they have been a joy to have in our home. I have already begun work on their outdoor enclosure for spring.

We saw an ad on craigslist a couple weeks ago that was disturbing. A high school kid was selling a Russian with tank and supplies for real cheap. He mentioned in his ad how hardy they are, and that they are almost impossible to starve. I immediately knew we had to get that tortoise out of that house, so we went over that night and got it.

I could tell right away that she(?) was underweight. Our two torts are very healthy and heavy. This one was quite hollow feeling. Her skin was also very pale and she has separations on her shell. Also on her belly, there is a hole in the outer shell. Her eyes were open though and very clear so that was about the only good sign. The food in the tank was leaf lettuce and bananas (very bad!).

We ARE keeping her quarantined. I replaced her filthy substrate with a soil/sand mixture, gave her water and light, which was probably the first she has ever had. The first 3 days she stayed in her log house. On day 3, I took her out and soaked her. She seemed to LOVE that. She sat in there a good 20 min, dipping her head in and out and cleaning her face off with her feet. She LOVES her basking light and spends most of the day under it. In fact, she climbs into her food bowl to get as close to it as possible. I really don't think she ever had a light before.

As for food, I put her on the diet of my other torts, a salad made of mustard and collard greens, endive, and peppers. The first couple days she didn't approach it. Over the last week, she has turned into an eating machine. I can hardly get the food in the bowl before she is in it chowing down and she doesn't stop until it is gone. She has put on some weight, and is a lot more alert and downright feisty.

My questions are:

1) is this a female?
2) Any idea about the hole on the belly?
3) Any idea about the separations on the top of the shell?
4) Any other things we can do to help her recover?

Pics enclosed.
23862_1377848563416_1147946013_31114644_4773921_n.jpg

23862_1377848243408_1147946013_31114643_5936383_n.jpg

23862_1377846483364_1147946013_31114640_2637934_n.jpg

23862_1377845883349_1147946013_31114639_7972888_n.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hard to tell if female or male from the pic. Usually a pic from the bottom is better. It does not look like the tail is very long or thick so I would guess female. But we will see what others say. As for the bottom of her shell, it looks to me like shell rot. Is that dirt impacted? I have a box turtle that I rescued that had shell rot that looked very similar. I would soak her and then gently use a qtip to clean the area very thoroughly even if it goes in underneath the edges of the shell. Then apply a triple antibiotic ointment. The same kind you can get at the drug store. Generic is ok. Once you clean it, you will be able to see if the shell is intact or if it still needs to heal. You should clean every day. I don't have russians any more but have had them in the past. They are great. Good luck and glad she is with you now.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Looks like it might be a male, by the way his tail kind of curves to the side, but a clearer belly picture would do justice. He looks like he would benefit from a slight scrub with a baby toothbrush, very gently all over his shell and bottom. Just water though, no soap or anything. I'm not sure about the separations between scutes, but from what I've read here on TFO, I think its new shell growth. I'm sure someone will post something more accurate about it than I can. As for the hole, is it soft inside the hole? Other than that congrats on your new addition, and that he/she is eating well now =] Does he/she have a name yet?

ROTJob

5 Year Member
No name yet. We didn't want to get too attached in case she didn't make it. I guess her eating pattern let's us know she will be around a while.

I haven't done anything with the hole yet. I will do that tonight and post new pics.

I think she is female is tail size is what matters. My 2 males are smaller than her but their tails are twice as big and long.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
So good of you to get her out of there - what a sicko! It looks like a female to me, but it could be a young male. I would clean his plastron with a toothbrush and some betadine - or chlorhexidrine. The triple antibiotic won't help if it's shell rot, but if it's infected at all - that will help. Looks like she's a good eater so you have that going for you. Good luck! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
at that size we can only guess since females get bigger than males but as of now to me it looks like a female but only time will tell.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hard to tell from the photos if it's male or female. A good shot of the rear bottom half showing a clear shot of the tail would help.

The abrasions on the carapace and plastron look like old shell fungus problems probably occured a while ago in the wild from the looks of them. It's very common on wild caught Russians, they live a fairly harsh environment. It wouldn't hurt to clean it with a soft brush and water to better assess the areas but they look pretty old and it's doubtful that they are a current problem. Cleaning them up to get a better look my prove otherwise.

Offer plenty of water since many prior owners are told that they don't need water because they are a desert species. Completely untrue. If she is eating well, basking and acting normal in all other ways then you should be on the right track. Don't stick with just a few foods. A good quality, varied diet is the key. 80-85% dark, tough, greens; the rest a good variety of quality vegetables.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ROTjob:

1219473kvrhzk76n6.gif

to the forum!!

Good on you for rescuing that poor little starving tortoise!! I'm leaning towards female because the tail seems quite small. Males have a big fat tail. However, all tortoises look female before they reach sexual maturity, so I might be wrong.

Just keep doing what you're doing and she'll be fine. Russians are hardy little tortoises.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I want to say female as well... IF the tail is as small as it seems....

the other things.. i am not for sure on

sorry

But Thank you for helping her

M

Maggie Cummings

Russians love weeds, I'd go for a walk and collect some weeds, dandelions blossoms leafs. My Fat Nat loves dandelion leafs and flowers. I'd collect some of them if you can. Softened yellow or orange squash is another favorite. My Fat Nat is missing an eye and was badly abused by someone before me, so I take a tortoise salad made of weeds and dark leafy greens and I add the softened squash on top of those greens and she will love you for it, and she'll put on weight quickly that way...Good luck with her...Fat Nat waddles as fast as she can when she sees that squash...Here's a link for you...

http://www.russiantortoise.org/

ROTJob

5 Year Member
How do you soften the squash? Do you cook it or just mash it up?

How do you soften the squash? Cook it or just mash it?

I soaked her tonight and cleaned up her shell. The hole on the bottom had some dirt in it, but not too much. It does not appear to be too deep. It is very brittle though and looks like it could easily peel off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You just put the squash in the microwave for a few minutes to soften it.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I hack my butternut squash into a few pieces and then steam them for 15-30 minutes, till I can easily cut the flesh from the skin (should I be leaving the skin on, I wonder just now?). Then I cut it into 2 inch squares (roughly) and put in individual snack baggies, then place all of those into a gallon freezer bag. It's easy then to take one out and let it thaw before giving it to Taco in smaller pieces...

Maggie, I thought your link was going to bring us photos of Fat Nat! Why do you hide her away and not post pictures of her here? I'm sure she is beautiful even if she's pleasantly plump...:p

Welcome to the forum, ROTjob, and good on you for rescuing this poor creature and nursing her back to health. I hope she rewards you with many years of vitality and food consumption.:D

M

Maggie Cummings

Fat Nat is not very pretty as she is deformed and missing one eye. She requests you respect her privacy.
I do like Yvonne says, I put the squash into the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes just softening it up a little...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
maggie3fan said:
Fat Nat is not very pretty as she is deformed and missing one eye. She requests you respect her privacy.
I do like Yvonne says, I put the squash into the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes just softening it up a little...
Sounds like a job for the turtle papparazzi

Status
Not open for further replies.