Our new baby, Ducky T.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hello Krista! Thank you for the information. I did read Tom's care sheet and I think we are mostly up to speed. To answer the questions... she sleeps in a hide and out in the open. She seems to like to burrow in corners but is not sleeping when she does that. We did get her from a pet store and she does poop and pee normally. The poops resemble little hersheys kisses... we do soak her every other day and spray her several times a day. She does have a water bowl and she does climb in and out of it. I don't know if she actually drinks though. We start her soaks at about 90. We use an XL litter pan so she has room to run around. I will try the heat lamp over the water thing today. She seems very picky about what she eats. When we take her in the yard, she eats a lot. She will always take iceberg lettuce but nothing else from inside. She did eat one spinach leaf today. We did drop a fecal same off but they haven't gotten back to us. She does laps inside the tank and always seems to be trying to get out. It seems like boredom but I am super paranoid about her and taking care of her properly.

I don't think the Temps are perfect in her standard 40 gallon tank. The loft we are building is 3x7 ft so we should be able to get that part right. The bulbs are a 10.0 uvb and a heat lamp, I think 50w. We have a new ZooMed dual light for the new enclosure. Ducky weighed 304 grams at the vets office. I will work on getting a scale. She still feels hefty when we pick her up. And I will do the picture thing! That's a great idea!? I don't know if she is full grown, and the vet seemed okay with her weight and appearance.

Dozer is a big boy! Well, compared to Ducky... not compared to Sally.. ?

Thank you for all the questions and the help! I know it comes from a place of genuine care. I really appreciate the time and help. This is a wonderful site thanks to people like you!
It sounds to me like you’re doing a lot of things right, which is just fantastic to hear from such a new owner!! I think Ducky is just fine from everything you’ve shared. The UV bulb you’re using... 10.0 is correct, but is it the screw in kind or the fluorescent tube kind? Because you mentioned the double dome fixture I fear that it’s the screw in kind. The only type of UV recommended for tortoises now are the fluorescent tube fixtures and bulbs. Any of the screw in types are extra desiccating on tortoises shells and they have a long history of damaging tortoises eyes. They’re supposedly good for other reptiles, but not tortoises. If you are using the screw in kind of UV…especially if it’s the spiral type of bulb I would unplug it and go without UV until you’re able to get the proper fixture and bulb. If Ducky is able to get a few hours per week outside, her UV criteria is being met! If you do have the fluorescent UV fixture and bulb, then just ignore everything I said lol.

That’s awesome if the Duckster is going in and out of the water. When they drink, they actually dunk their little heads under the water and you’ll actually see some movement in the throat when they swallow. A fun fact you can share with your son is that Ducky is also able to absorb and take in water through her cloaca (aka butt hole). So if you’re soaking her every other day and seeing her going in and out of her water dish as well as spraying, then she’s good! From what you’ve said about her pooping and peeing and eating good, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about health wise. Tortoises live a long time because they usually live life in the slow lane. One thing you can try is blocking out the bottom part of the glass so she can’t see out. Sometimes it can stress them if they see out, especially when they know there’s a bigger world to explore. It is common however for tortoises to do laps around the perimeter of their enclosure.

Back to the UV. For the new enclosure I’d recommend looking at the Arcadia Pro T5 kit. It will come with the fixture and bulb all in one and when it’s time to replace the bulb, you can just buy the bulb next time. It’s cheaper to buy the combo initially than to buy fixture and bulb individually. Here’s a link to the Arcadia website so you can see what I’m talking about. Also, it’s the 12% bulb you’re looking for.

There are of course other ways to do this. When I set up Dozer’s new enclosure I couldn’t get my hands on anything Arcadia. It’s not as common to find in Canada where I live, and any that would typically be available was depleted due to covid. So I am currently using a 24” SunBlaster T5 HO fixture with a reflector on it that I got off of Amazon with a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube in it. There’s nothing wrong with reptisun, it is a good product, just that the Arcadia is seen as a little more superior of a product. As for my SunBlaster fixture, it’s been good too. I have a UV meter and find that it directs the UV out really well. I’ve seen studies that show it is optimal to use the Arcadia branded fixtures, but from my little bit of experience the Sunblaster is serving its purpose very well. I have bought an Arcadia 12% bulb to replace the reptisun, when it loses its UV strength and I’ll be sticking with the SunBlaster fixture. It is recommended that you don’t have UV throughout the entire enclosure. Ducky should have the choice to move in and out of the UV and the bulb should only be on for 3 or so hours per day depending on the level of UV being emitted. A lot of the pros on here say the UV shouldn’t cover more than 1/3 of the enclosure. My enclosure is 7x4 and I use the 2 ft long fixture.

The only way to know for sure the level of UV being emitted ans when the bulb has stopped producing UV is with a Solarmeter. The Solarmeter 6.5 and 6.5R are the only UV meters that work for our purposes. They say if you don’t have a Solarmeter that the UV bulb should be changed every 6 months. The Solarmeter is expensive and kinda made me sick to spend the money at the time, but I am so glad I got it. There’s so much peace of mind I have with never having to guess if the UV output is too high or too low. The reading you get on the Solarmeter is what determines the height it should be at in the enclosure and how long it’s safe to have the UV light on each day. Every now and then I check the output and make adjustments if needed. The UV output on my reptisun is just starting to weaken now, so a couple weeks ago I lowered the fixture a bit to get the reading I need again. Besides the peace of mind it provides, you also recoup money by not having to replace bulbs until it’s actually necessary, instead of replacing bulbs every 6 months not knowing if the old bulb was still good or not.

I am sorry if this is information overload. UV was the hardest thing for me to figure out for Dozer, so now that I understand, although I’m no expert, I like to share what I’ve learned.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Casie A

Riverview
It sounds to me like you’re doing a lot of things right, which is just fantastic to hear from such a new owner!! I think Ducky is just fine from everything you’ve shared. The UV bulb you’re using... 10.0 is correct, but is it the screw in kind or the fluorescent tube kind? Because you mentioned the double dome fixture I fear that it’s the screw in kind. The only type of UV recommended for tortoises now are the fluorescent tube fixtures and bulbs. Any of the screw in types are extra desiccating on tortoises shells and they have a long history of damaging tortoises eyes. They’re supposedly good for other reptiles, but not tortoises. If you are using the screw in kind of UV…especially if it’s the spiral type of bulb I would unplug it and go without UV until you’re able to get the proper fixture and bulb. If Ducky is able to get a few hours per week outside, her UV criteria is being met! If you do have the fluorescent UV fixture and bulb, then just ignore everything I said lol.

That’s awesome if the Duckster is going in and out of the water. When they drink, they actually dunk their little heads under the water and you’ll actually see some movement in the throat when they swallow. A fun fact you can share with your son is that Ducky is also able to absorb and take in water through her cloaca (aka butt hole). So if you’re soaking her every other day and seeing her going in and out of her water dish as well as spraying, then she’s good! From what you’ve said about her pooping and peeing and eating good, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about health wise. Tortoises live a long time because they usually live life in the slow lane. One thing you can try is blocking out the bottom part of the glass so she can’t see out. Sometimes it can stress them if they see out, especially when they know there’s a bigger world to explore. It is common however for tortoises to do laps around the perimeter of their enclosure.

Back to the UV. For the new enclosure I’d recommend looking at the Arcadia Pro T5 kit. It will come with the fixture and bulb all in one and when it’s time to replace the bulb, you can just buy the bulb next time. It’s cheaper to buy the combo initially than to buy fixture and bulb individually. Here’s a link to the Arcadia website so you can see what I’m talking about. Also, it’s the 12% bulb you’re looking for.

There are of course other ways to do this. When I set up Dozer’s new enclosure I couldn’t get my hands on anything Arcadia. It’s not as common to find in Canada where I live, and any that would typically be available was depleted due to covid. So I am currently using a 24” SunBlaster T5 HO fixture with a reflector on it that I got off of Amazon with a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube in it. There’s nothing wrong with reptisun, it is a good product, just that the Arcadia is seen as a little more superior of a product. As for my SunBlaster fixture, it’s been good too. I have a UV meter and find that it directs the UV out really well. I’ve seen studies that show it is optimal to use the Arcadia branded fixtures, but from my little bit of experience the Sunblaster is serving its purpose very well. I have bought an Arcadia 12% bulb to replace the reptisun, when it loses its UV strength and I’ll be sticking with the SunBlaster fixture. It is recommended that you don’t have UV throughout the entire enclosure. Ducky should have the choice to move in and out of the UV and the bulb should only be on for 3 or so hours per day depending on the level of UV being emitted. A lot of the pros on here say the UV shouldn’t cover more than 1/3 of the enclosure. My enclosure is 7x4 and I use the 2 ft long fixture.

The only way to know for sure the level of UV being emitted ans when the bulb has stopped producing UV is with a Solarmeter. The Solarmeter 6.5 and 6.5R are the only UV meters that work for our purposes. They say if you don’t have a Solarmeter that the UV bulb should be changed every 6 months. The Solarmeter is expensive and kinda made me sick to spend the money at the time, but I am so glad I got it. There’s so much peace of mind I have with never having to guess if the UV output is too high or too low. The reading you get on the Solarmeter is what determines the height it should be at in the enclosure and how long it’s safe to have the UV light on each day. Every now and then I check the output and make adjustments if needed. The UV output on my reptisun is just starting to weaken now, so a couple weeks ago I lowered the fixture a bit to get the reading I need again. Besides the peace of mind it provides, you also recoup money by not having to replace bulbs until it’s actually necessary, instead of replacing bulbs every 6 months not knowing if the old bulb was still good or not.

I am sorry if this is information overload. UV was the hardest thing for me to figure out for Dozer, so now that I understand, although I’m no expert, I like to share what I’ve learned.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
I will admit, I am struggling with the UV. She currently has the fluorescent tube kind. The dual thing was for the new enclosure, but I will return it, thank you. Her tube is 24" and is a reptisun bulb. She does go for walks around the backyard. We try to go out for 30minutes to an hour everyday when it's not raining, but it's Florida, and it gets really hot. I don't like melting so it gets hard some times.. ? we don't take her out if it's higher than 90 though.

When she is in the water, she does put her head down so she must be drinking. We have cardboard around her the bottom of her tank so she can't see out.

I have looked at the solar meter but can't quite bring myself to do it yet... building up to it... ??
I hope to have her in the new enclosure by tomorrow. Then we will have more options for her lighting. I think the tank is too limiting... once we finish her loft, we will work on the outdoor enclosure. ?

I appreciate you taking the time to explain everything. There is so little information that is not conflicting.... it's frustrating. Thank you!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I will admit, I am struggling with the UV. She currently has the fluorescent tube kind. The dual thing was for the new enclosure, but I will return it, thank you. Her tube is 24" and is a reptisun bulb. She does go for walks around the backyard. We try to go out for 30minutes to an hour everyday when it's not raining, but it's Florida, and it gets really hot. I don't like melting so it gets hard some times.. ? we don't take her out if it's higher than 90 though.

When she is in the water, she does put her head down so she must be drinking. We have cardboard around her the bottom of her tank so she can't see out.

I have looked at the solar meter but can't quite bring myself to do it yet... building up to it... ??
I hope to have her in the new enclosure by tomorrow. Then we will have more options for her lighting. I think the tank is too limiting... once we finish her loft, we will work on the outdoor enclosure. ?

I appreciate you taking the time to explain everything. There is so little information that is not conflicting.... it's frustrating. Thank you!
That’s great if she already has the fluorescent tube kind and the size you have is good for the new enclosure too! A+ for you! She doesn’t need to go outside everyday. As long as she’s getting a combined total of at least a few hours per week, then she’s doing good for UV purposes. I hear you about the Solarmeter. Took me awhile to convince myself because of the cost. There is a lot of upfront expense with tortoises, and because you’re in Florida (I forgot that’s where you are) and she can get some natural UV year round, it isn’t quite as essential. For someone like myself in cold Canadian weather for the majority of the year, it’s a lot more important because Dozer can’t get much for outside time.

That’s awesome that the new enclosure will be ready for her so quickly! I can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

Casie A

Riverview
That’s great if she already has the fluorescent tube kind and the size you have is good for the new enclosure too! A+ for you! She doesn’t need to go outside everyday. As long as she’s getting a combined total of at least a few hours per week, then she’s doing good for UV purposes. I hear you about the Solarmeter. Took me awhile to convince myself because of the cost. There is a lot of upfront expense with tortoises, and because you’re in Florida (I forgot that’s where you are) and she can get some natural UV year round, it isn’t quite as essential. For someone like myself in cold Canadian weather for the majority of the year, it’s a lot more important because Dozer can’t get much for outside time.

That’s awesome that the new enclosure will be ready for her so quickly! I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!
I will definitely send pictures!

Casie A

Riverview
So, it's taking a bit longer than we expected. We have felt down covering the wood base and will put reptibark and other substrates down for her to play with. Hard to see but my son is in the background making faces. ? he is doing most of the manual labor, so I guess I can forgive a photo bomb or two.

How is everyone?

Attachments

• 20210906_175301.jpg
    20210906_175301.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210905_174638.jpg
    20210905_174638.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5