Our new baby Galapagos tortoises

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
These hatched June of 2021?

What do you typically feed them? How often do you soak? What are your daytime highs and night temps?
Three in June, two in July of 2021. The chart below is weight by age in weeks.

Diet:
Cactus pads offered nearly every day
Hibiscus leaves and flowers (4 different varieties)
Mahoe
Assorted weeds and grasses
Spring mix for the last couple of months when the weeds haven't been growing
Mazuri LS with chopped orchard grass once to twice a week

Temps:
The temperature overall stays at about 86. I have a large chicken brooder panel that serves as their hide that is set for 84 and a CHE set for 86.

Picture1.png

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Our first three Galapagos tortoises hatched June 17, 18 and 19 2021. Yellow is 1 year old today. He is the smallest of the three at 2151 grams.

yellow-1yr.jpgyellow-1yr-2.jpgyellow-1yr-3.jpg

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Yesterday was Red's birthday. It comes from a different dam than our first three tortoises and has always had a bumpy shell despite being raised in the same conditions.
It weighed 2607 grams @1 year.

red-galapagos.jpg

turtlebro

California
We didn't hatch them, we purchased them from a breeder in Florida.
Any chance they have any left or will be? Not only would I love to own my own but help with the process of getting these amazing animals back to a regular state as a species

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Any chance they have any left or will be? Not only would I love to own my own but help with the process of getting these amazing animals back to a regular state as a species
They can't be sold across state lines without special permits. You would have to find a breeder in California. I believe Rodriguez Chelonians may be your best/only option.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Pink's birthday was yesterday. He is the youngest of our first batch. Originally his growth was tracking the same as the others but at around 10 months it started to slow. Space was getting tight in the indoor enclosure and there was noticeable competition for food. They have been outside now for two weeks or so and his weight gain has been explosive.
He was 2031g at 1yr.

pink-galapagos2.jpgpink-galapagos.jpg

turtlebro

California
They can't be sold across state lines without special permits. You would have to find a breeder in California. I believe Rodriguez Chelonians may be your best/only option.
I’ve always wanted a Galapagos!! 🥹 if you can please lmk 😇🙏🏽 how to get into contact with them? Nvm didn’t know they were on here but very much greatly appreciated 💯

tortgiant

Netherlands
It won’t be long until your Galapagos will rather have attention over food. Here’s a photo from yesterday. Brenda and I were feeding some treats to some Galapagos. This one wanted petting before showing any interest in the banana treats! This is a pure Chelonoidis vicina.
View attachment 331460
How old is he / she? There are actually few Chelonoidis vicina left ex situ in US. Phoenix Zoo just had their first breeding success with them since a long time. So, it is important that the few representatives of the species C. vicina are assembled in assurance colonies for breeding.

tortgiant

Netherlands
How old is he / she? There are actually few Chelonoidis vicina left ex situ in US. Phoenix Zoo just had their first breeding success with them since a long time. So, it is important that the few representatives of the species C. vicina are assembled in assurance colonies for breeding.
If he is proven it would be important to get him into a breeding situation with Cerro Azul tortoise Chelonoidis vicina. Chances they will let him go on breeding loan?