Our Sulcata Enclosure in Los Angeles, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Attached are pictures of our Tortoise enclosure that I promised many of you I would take.

We live in the Los Angeles area, so our climate is great!

The enclosure is about 4 years old. Originally we had California Desert Tortoises, but now we have moved on to the bigger beasts.......Sulcatas. The Enclosure is in the corner of the yard, and the gate can be closed off when we have other kids in the yard. Our kids know that any torotise has the right of way in the yard. It is their yard, and they let the kids play in it.

As you can see from the photos, the grass is pretty green. The grass in the middle is actually artificial grass. The Sulcatas learned their first day here, that the darn grass won't pull out of the ground. They quickly learned that the real grass in the planters and in the perimeter of the yard is the good stuff. We have no issues with the torts and the fake grass. As you can see from the photos, they love their hibiscus treat. We have access to some neighbors yards that also have hibiscus, so we can give them branches every 3-5 days, along with flowers.

The tortoise house is a Extra Large Doggloo. It is lined with Bermuda Grass, and thermostat controlled heat lamp in the winter. A Malibu Light lights up the inside when the mailibu lights are on in the yard. Lights out at 9 PM. The inside temperture is watched wirelessly from the Doggloo to the inside of our house, so we can watch the temperture inside their house, along with humidity. (Oregon Scientific Weather Reader, Wal-mart or Target) Heavy rains, or extreme cold weather, Torts can go in the garage in the corner, with Heat emitters providing warmth.

Enclosure is completely cleaned out once a week. Water saucers (2) in the enclosure are equipped to refill themselves two times a day, by automated sprinkler system.

Thanks for letting me share. Alot of research went into the enclosure before we built it, and we are always looking for ways to improve it. The brick walls actually go down in the ground about 24 inches, so they can never dig out the enclosure or the yard.

When we first started off with Tortoises, we loved seeing the enclosures that people had built. I hope posting this will help others in their planning.

David

Attachments

• Rear Yard.jpg
    Rear Yard.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 574
  • Tort Enclosure 1.jpg
    Tort Enclosure 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 593
  • Tort Enclosure 2.jpg
    Tort Enclosure 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 561
  • Torts.jpg
    Torts.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 464

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Very nice! They look good!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your enclosure looks great :D but I can see why your largest sulcata is being aggressive. The enclosure is way to small for 3 sulcatas. It would be fine for 1 sulcata, but not 3. Your either going to have to expand, make more enclosures or cut down on the number of animals.

Danny

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The smaller Sulcata has a small house in the patio that he sleeps in. They have the run of the yard 99 % of the time. The two larger Sulcatas go into the Igloo at night all on their own. Yes, In my expansion plans, I plan to build a shed on the side of the garage. also looking to make weekly cleaning more easier.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We pick up poop every day. They usually go in the planters or in the Igloo.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did you do the brick wall yourselves?

Such beautiful creatures.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes, I did do the brick work myself. First time. I figured that it was inthe backyard, and if it didn't go right, I would have professionals come do it. As I went along, wife said it looked great. I surprised myself. We went back later and removed the regular brick from the top and added the bullnose so it is more like a bench to sit on

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
VERY nice!!

How big are your guys? My Ralph is almost 4 yrs old and is about 12-15 pounds.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
3 year old is 8 1/2 inches Long and weighs 4 Lbs.

6 year old is 17 1/2 inches Long and weighs 27 1/2 Lbs.

8 Year Old is 18 1/4 inches Long and 39 Lbs.

Sorry for the slow reply. aka2tal

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
David,
Your enclosure is very nice. I like the brick. I need to set up outdoor houses for my Sulcatas. The Igloo seems to be the way to go because it is waterproof. I live in West Los Angeles. So where is the electricity coming from? Do you have outside electrical outlets?

Angie

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes, There is a electrical outlet on the inside portion of the wall, behind the Igloo.

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, David
I live in the West Los Angeles area. I would love to come by and see your setup, especially how you have the electrical hooked up in the backyard. I really need to hurry up and build something because the nights are starting to get cold. We used to bring the Sulcattas in at night, but they're getting too big for that.

Can you please call me with your phone number so that we can talk.

Angie 323-793-6644
[email protected]

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How cold does it get in LA at night?

I'm looking for comparisons I live in phoenix.

I just built my sulcata a wooden house outside. right now I have a ceramic heat lamp, but am looking to add a heating mat soon.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Angie, Did you ever get my message? I assumed that you don't need to see the yard since I didn't hear back.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
it gets around 32 to 42 degrees at night i live 8 hours away from there but i go down there every christmas to see family.

M

Maggie Cummings

While I agree the brick is beautiful, I don't think the area is big enough for Sulcata. You say your 3 year old is 4 pounds, I just sent Tony down to my sister's to be re-homed. He is 3 years old and 14 pounds. Debbie says that Ralph is 4 years old and over 12 pounds. When there's such a big difference in sizes you have to start thinking about emotional abuse. You may not see any physical abuse, but the physiological abuse must be happening. If you have recently had a fecal done and there are no parasites, you should start thinking about abuse. While I always push that slow growth is best, it's obvious to any experienced Sulcata keeper that something is wrong that the 3 year old is so small...I mean no disrespect, I am just trying to point out where there *may* be a problem...
I think that the area is too small for 3 Sulcata. You say that the 2 bigger animals sleep in the dogloo, I think that's too small. Here's Bob's shed and his yard.
xmqxq9.jpg

1695j7p.jpg

That area became too small and Bob starting biting Tony's face, so to protect Tony I felt I had to rehome him. And it was REALLY hard, but that's another subject. Male Sulcata need a lot of room...

I love seeing my cat Big Bubba going into the shed and Bob is then afraid to go inside. While male Sulcata will fight with each other...and Bob is 73 pounds, they are afraid of a 27 pound cat...:p...The plant is just in there for the winter so it doesn't freeze...

Status
Not open for further replies.