Our torts sharing a leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
cute photo! welcome to tfo, by the way!
(be careful about posting photos of different species together, some folks say it can be bad and will lambaste you for doing so)

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:
cute photo! welcome to tfo, by the way!
(be careful about posting photos of different species together, some folks say it can be bad and will lambaste you for doing so)

i know...we just had them out doing a bit of free roaming in the house while we were feeding them a bit.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
lotta tongue action in that photo

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Josh some of us took great offense to that comment. I dont believe any of us have ever labasted anyone on this subject. We have worked to educate on why its wrong for different tortoise species to live in close proximity/same enclosure but NEVER lambasted anyone for it.

It is a risk and one that should not be done whether its for 5 minutes or 5 years, plain and simple.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sorry if you took offense. i didnt mean to offend anyone. i was just trying to warn demjor of what may come. as far as i've seen everyone's done a great job being welcoming and cordial. i was thinking more about other forums where people are chastised within their first thread.

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
Josh some of us took great offense to that comment. I dont believe any of us have ever labasted anyone on this subject. We have worked to educate on why its wrong for different tortoise species to live in close proximity/same enclosure but NEVER lambasted anyone for it.

It is a risk and one that should not be done whether its for 5 minutes or 5 years, plain and simple.

would you or anyone else for that matter mind educating me a little more on this topic? i understand why they cant live together, but why no contact at all? is there disease issues or something? thanks for the heads up.

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:
sorry if you took offense. i didnt mean to offend anyone. i was just trying to warn demjor of what may come. as far as i've seen everyone's done a great job being welcoming and cordial. i was thinking more about other forums where people are chastised within their first thread.

i understand where you are comming here...on some forums you can not make a mistake w/ out getting flamed.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
josh said:

this happened to us on another site when we were trying to find help for our Gussy. I simply told them everything I had said in the thread I started about him on here, only over there it turned into an all out arguement and them telling me I dont know how to care for tortoises...not very welcoming.

Anyway, I too would be interested in knowing why they should not come in contact, even for a few minutes?? I am guessing it has to do with parasites or illnesses they culd give to one another?

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
they do have their own separate enclosures. we just allow them to free roam in one room of the house while we are in it. they are always supervised while doing so.

S

stells

sorry it still shouldn't be done they are still having contact when they shouldn't be

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Meka said:
josh said:

this happened to us on another site when we were trying to find help for our Gussy. I simply told them everything I had said in the thread I started about him on here, only over there it turned into an all out arguement and them telling me I dont know how to care for tortoises...not very welcoming.

Hi Meka, If you go to the photo section and look up the topic, my guys(mostly) and follow the thread, there are some really good reasons why we need to rethink putting different species together. I ,also , have allowed my different species to live together for years! And I thought well gee, if I haven't had a problem..... but as we know with turtles they take a long time to show illnesses, and sometimes we can't fix them. I wanted to post a newer photo, of my Ornate box, Louise, in a new enclosure and hope I get some goods and bads, that's how we learn. I think it's just too small, but all I could find at wally mart last week. When I find another I will put her in that. I will keep my eyes open for another container for my Russians, but can't even think about putting them in this size. I used spagnum moss. mixed with sterile dirt. Comments welcome! One question. Do you guys leave heat on all the time? I have radiant heat, but while I get to 87 in the hotter spot I can't seem to get a good reading at night. (I usually do leave it on, but just wondered)
Thanks Na

Attachments

• new tub.jpg
    new tub.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.