Our vacation and the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Brenda and I just got back last night from a busy vacation. Able to visit my daughter and family in Alabama, but also took time to allow us to do some work with the Galapagos project while in the SE US. We were able to visit with some amazing Galapagos tortoises. Got lessons on drawing blood for genetic testing and microchipping some tortoises. Also took time for some legal paperwork and setting up bank account for the group we have created.

A small group – including a handful of TortoiseForum members – have created the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. The GTA is dedicated to working for the better understanding and improvement of the husbandry and the long-term survival of the Galapagos Tortoise. Seeing what is happening in the world with these magnificent giants and this iconic species, it seems clear to us that the long-term survival of this species is going to come from dedicated private keepers. With the last official tortoise that was taken from the Galapagos islands in 1959, the number the world has to work with is severely limited and is declining. Species have not been defined and separated, and what little successful breeding has occurred has resulted in mostly hybrid tortoises – and now we face the extreme rarity of pure species that exist outside of the Galapagos Islands. On the islands, local land use and outdated husbandry is combining to continue to threaten the tortoises that remain in their native environment.

Our vacation allowed us to take some next steps in expanding our learnings and better understanding the tortoises and people we have the great privilege to work with in this endeavor.

Walking the acres of this property, you start to see some distinctive domes in the distance. Free roaming such a large overgrown place, they stay amazingly hidden until they see or hear you and then start to emerge hoping for a treat.

IMG_1951.jpg

01dcc5bb5f89f9c46d3e8fce0a967df9b30c9b7e14.jpg

Pretty soon more are coming and you better have some treats ready!

01e74fe86fd5a543354b1e027139602ce8109b63f8.jpg

F5A738BE-BB98-4CBE-8479-28513837FF92.jpeg

While busy feeding and taking pictures, we didn't notice some had decided not to wait their turn and found the bucket full of bananas even though we had it tucked away in the golf cart!

IMG_1955.jpg

They love to sit in mud holes they continually form and enlarge when it rains. But many are even more interested in affectionate petting and here Brenda has had this large male come straight out of the mud for attention. This large male is a pure Chelonoidis vicina Brenda gladly obliged with the love and totally didn't care about all the mud!

2021-08-29 (7).png

Here's a Chelonoidis becki reaching for a treat. Notice the more saddleback shape to this species. They are actually intermediate in morphology to the dome and saddleback type species.

FEBA64F3-C485-4E45-9569-8F8D46EAAA7F.jpeg

C becki.jpg

Another large male emerged from the mud for attention, then treats. You can see the mud hole on the right with a smaller female still in it. They spend a lot of time soaking in the water/mud. They will often even spend the entire night sleeping there.

Diego.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

Here's a pure Chelonoidis porteri. She is Mobray and is the dam (mother) of several of my tortoises. She came from the Galapagos Islands with the Townsend Expedition in 1928. At 100 years old plus, she is one of the best producers in the breeding program. Paired with another pure C porteri - Herb the Sire (father of many of mine), Mobray and Herb form a keystone part of the future of this species. C porteri is listed as the largest tortoise species in the world.

Mobray.JPG

In another area, Brenda is feeding some pure Chelonoidis microphyes here. Younger females.

C microphyes.jpg

We found this huge male resting under man made cover. Seeing Brenda, the only thing he wanted was attention! Only after petting did he show interested in a banana treat.

Sampson.jpg

014f4afe5f9406a78e8f1bae1cf110548843e2b005.jpg

We also took time to do a little work and learn the techniques of drawing blood and microchipping the tortoises. For our project, we are indentifying and verifying the exact lineage of the tortoises. So we need to draw blood for the DNA testing and matching to verify. As we draw blood, we also then microchip (insert a PIT tag) for postitive ID on that individual and attach the PIT tag number to the blood vial that goes off to the lab.

Here I am drawing blood from a C porteri born in 2020. Now about 2500g. (the red looking stains are betadine.) We use an abundance to sterilize the area liberally. The tortoise rarely even bleeds at all for neither the blood draw or the pit tagging.

0151c0de6266cab55f1106d85cb505cae83e2e78b0.jpg

Next I make a very small incision in the left hind leg. The microchip needle is rather large. It is easier to make a scalpel incision first in the tough skin.

2021-08-29 (3).png

Then insert the needle into the incision and insert the PIT tag into the thigh muscle area. The incision does not even bleed with the tough skin of these tortoises.

2021-08-29 (4).png

Next, check the reading for the PIT tag now that it is sucessfully inserted into the tortoise's thigh muscle.

2021-08-29 (5).png

Finally we take pictures of the tortoise from all angles to keep as records and cross check noting any identifying unique characteristics the tortoise may have. Setting the tortoise back in its pen they all started to graze on grass within minutes of being placed back - apparently totally unaffected by the process!

01d43fe9202d2b984a53a755039aa8b7b7839b952a_00002.jpg

01c42fe97c173344008c72fa0c4d6adb4beac52fb2.jpg

An absolutely amazing experience and just the early stages of truly epic journey. And a thank you to the TortoiseForum that was the vehicle that actually allowed us to find each other to make the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance a reality.

More to come in the months and years ahead.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Wow! This is incredible and the experience you’re having with these tortoises sounds like a dream. Thanks for sharing your journey and congratulations on the creation of the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. I’m excited to see what’s to come and how we can help support this endeavour.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, good for you. So glad you were able to do this. Love the pics, specially the stealing of the treat from the golf cart, too funny.
Thanks for sharing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for the appreciation, but I do want to be clear and explain the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance was not my idea. I was thrilled to be invited to be a part. A handful of us has taken the challenge to run with this. The biggest problem and catch 22 is that when working with such a rare and iconic species, security becomes a main and extraordinarily important concern. Anonymity of key players becomes a necessary part. However, a primary goal is learnings to share - not only to the zoos and institutions lucky enough to work with these amazing animals, but also letting as many people as possible start to understand what is going on and why we need to do something.

As far as the AZA, USF&W and the SSP is concerned, private parties should not even have access to these iconic, gentle giants. Tortoises roamed the earth before and then with the dinosaurs! We are blessed to have them with us to this day. But what the AZA and SSP and our Federal Fish and Wildlife is doing is not working. They have survived for over 100,000 years, but will they survive what is going on now?

I have chosen to be a bit more open and share. Other key players need to remain anonymous. I do not want the credit. I do want to share and hopefully, help educate.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Mark, this is pure awesome. How many species are represented, and how many with clean genetics?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mark, this is pure awesome. How many species are represented, and how many with clean genetics?
Steve, We have pure genetics and tortoises to work with 4 species so far identified by genetics in the group. I have shown examples of all 4 in my post above. Chelonoidis porteri, C. becki, C. vicina, and C. microphyes. Although we have breeders and potential breeders, we do lack genetic diversity. In most cases there are only 1 or 2 other know pure breeders of that species in the world outside of the Galapagos Islands.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Brenda and I just got back last night from a busy vacation. Able to visit my daughter and family in Alabama, but also took time to allow us to do some work with the Galapagos project while in the SE US. We were able to visit with some amazing Galapagos tortoises. Got lessons on drawing blood for genetic testing and microchipping some tortoises. Also took time for some legal paperwork and setting up bank account for the group we have created.

A small group – including a handful of TortoiseForum members – have created the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. The GTA is dedicated to working for the better understanding and improvement of the husbandry and the long-term survival of the Galapagos Tortoise. Seeing what is happening in the world with these magnificent giants and this iconic species, it seems clear to us that the long-term survival of this species is going to come from dedicated private keepers. With the last official tortoise that was taken from the Galapagos islands in 1959, the number the world has to work with is severely limited and is declining. Species have not been defined and separated, and what little successful breeding has occurred has resulted in mostly hybrid tortoises – and now we face the extreme rarity of pure species that exist outside of the Galapagos Islands. On the islands, local land use and outdated husbandry is combining to continue to threaten the tortoises that remain in their native environment.

Our vacation allowed us to take some next steps in expanding our learnings and better understanding the tortoises and people we have the great privilege to work with in this endeavor.

Walking the acres of this property, you start to see some distinctive domes in the distance. Free roaming such a large overgrown place, they stay amazingly hidden until they see or hear you and then start to emerge hoping for a treat.

View attachment 331943

View attachment 331944

Pretty soon more are coming and you better have some treats ready!

View attachment 331945

View attachment 331946

While busy feeding and taking pictures, we didn't notice some had decided not to wait their turn and found the bucket full of bananas even though we had it tucked away in the golf cart!

View attachment 331947

They love to sit in mud holes they continually form and enlarge when it rains. But many are even more interested in affectionate petting and here Brenda has had this large male come straight out of the mud for attention. This large male is a pure Chelonoidis vicina Brenda gladly obliged with the love and totally didn't care about all the mud!

View attachment 331948

Here's a Chelonoidis becki reaching for a treat. Notice the more saddleback shape to this species. They are actually intermediate in morphology to the dome and saddleback type species.

View attachment 331949

View attachment 331950

Another large male emerged from the mud for attention, then treats. You can see the mud hole on the right with a smaller female still in it. They spend a lot of time soaking in the water/mud. They will often even spend the entire night sleeping there.

View attachment 331951

View attachment 331956

Here's a pure Chelonoidis porteri. She is Mobray and is the dam (mother) of several of my tortoises. She came from the Galapagos Islands with the Townsend Expedition in 1928. At 100 years old plus, she is one of the best producers in the breeding program. Paired with another pure C porteri - Herb the Sire (father of many of mine), Mobray and Herb form a keystone part of the future of this species. C porteri is listed as the largest tortoise species in the world.

View attachment 331952

In another area, Brenda is feeding some pure Chelonoidis microphyes here. Younger females.

View attachment 331953

We found this huge male resting under man made cover. Seeing Brenda, the only thing he wanted was attention! Only after petting did he show interested in a banana treat.

View attachment 331954

View attachment 331955

We also took time to do a little work and learn the techniques of drawing blood and microchipping the tortoises. For our project, we are indentifying and verifying the exact lineage of the tortoises. So we need to draw blood for the DNA testing and matching to verify. As we draw blood, we also then microchip (insert a PIT tag) for postitive ID on that individual and attach the PIT tag number to the blood vial that goes off to the lab.

Here I am drawing blood from a C porteri born in 2020. Now about 2500g. (the red looking stains are betadine.) We use an abundance to sterilize the area liberally. The tortoise rarely even bleeds at all for neither the blood draw or the pit tagging.

View attachment 331957

Next I make a very small incision in the left hind leg. The microchip needle is rather large. It is easier to make a scalpel incision first in the tough skin.

View attachment 331958

Then insert the needle into the incision and insert the PIT tag into the thigh muscle area. The incision does not even bleed with the tough skin of these tortoises.

View attachment 331959

Next, check the reading for the PIT tag now that it is sucessfully inserted into the tortoise's thigh muscle.

View attachment 331960

Finally we take pictures of the tortoise from all angles to keep as records and cross check noting any identifying unique characteristics the tortoise may have. Setting the tortoise back in its pen they all started to graze on grass within minutes of being placed back - apparently totally unaffected by the process!

View attachment 331961

View attachment 331962

An absolutely amazing experience and just the early stages of truly epic journey. And a thank you to the TortoiseForum that was the vehicle that actually allowed us to find each other to make the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance a reality.

More to come in the months and years ahead.
Fascinating and really interesting what a trip.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow, simply fantastic. Thanks so much for opening up as you have with all the info & pictures. Some rather large tortoises there. ?????

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow, simply fantastic. Thanks so much for opening up as you have with all the info & pictures. Some rather large tortoises there. ?????
Yes. It is really amazing to see how big they really are. You can almost imagine a brontosaurus head in your hands when petting some of them. The biggest ones pictured are 600+ lbs. However, weights over 550-600 lbs is counterproductive for breeding purposes - just too big and heavy for the females and successful mounting.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Yes. It is really amazing to see how big they really are. You can almost imagine a brontosaurus head in your hands when petting some of them. The biggest ones pictured are 600+ lbs. However, weights over 550-600 lbs is counterproductive for breeding purposes - just too big and heavy for the females and successful mounting.
Im sooo jealous! When I went to the Galapagos Islands, we were right beside them, but we weren't allowed to touch them.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Impressive and important work. Love how your alliance seems to be methodical in their approach to selective breeding and proper hatchling management.

Your point regarding AZA, USF&W and the SSP resonates with me as well. There are numerous Pyxis, flat tail, and kleinmanni WC groups in the above-mentioned hands that have been neglected in my opinion from a breeding standpoint. Whether it be funding, time, or lack of public interest (panda merchandise sells better), those incredibly important genetics are being wasted to the detriment of the survival of the species. I wish there wasn’t such an adversarial relationship between private breeders and zoological institutions, but alas I’ve been told it has been this way for decades. Keep up the good work!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't think off hand exactly everything @tortadise (Kelly) has done in the past and possibly still does with tortoises/turtles and the group/groups he works/worked with.
He might be someone to talk too if you haven't.
Sadly, species that have survived for thousands of years are less likely to keep surviving in this world, the way it's going, without human intervention.
The DT is one example that has stupid restrictive laws placed on them. With the constant devastation happening in CA I always worry about their survival.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
View attachment 332151
Posted on Facebook group 'old school herpers' by Michael Burger. It's suggested these were avaiable in the late i
1950's. "A couple of classified ads circa mid-to-late 1950s from Reptile Jungle, Slidell, LA (Arthur Jones). "

So should I assume the “giant” redfoots really were Amazon basin yellowfoots? As far as I am aware, redfoots don’t get that big…

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What do you and your wife do for a living?
This is awesome. I am amazed by the support and devotion you two give together in this species. It's pretty cool to have a partner to enjoy the same things as you!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
So should I assume the “giant” redfoots really were Amazon basin yellowfoots? As far as I am aware, redfoots don’t get that big…
I have read one or two places(IF memory serves well) that Redfoots can indeed get into that neighborhood with Yellowfoots getting even a bit larger at 32+ inches. However the ones advertised may well have been erroneous ID as well.