Out of hibernation and walking in circles

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Our Russian came out of fridge hibernation four days ago. She had a good long drink two days after that and wasn’t interested in soaking after that—normal for her.

We’ve gotten her nice and warm in her night box but she’s not come out yet. I realize it’s only been a few days, but last year she was out for short periods and eating at this time. This morning, after her soak, I put her next to the ramp to her night box, then noticed she was turning in circles next to it. After a few minutes of this, I put her on the ramp to her house and she went inside.

We kept her in the house fridge this year, after determining her little fridge wasn’t keeping the temperature stable. This fridge kept her colder, a consistent 38 degrees. She was in the most temperature stable area of the fridge; we removed the fridge light and left her box covered; she moved around very little. She was also hibernated a longer period this year (four months), as she tried to yard hibernate pretty early.

She lost a little more weight than usual, while she was in the unstable little fridge; her weight stabilized as soon as we moved her and she’s gained most of it back drinking.

Her eyes are bright and she done some digging around in her night box but she’s otherwise sluggish...I’m worried. Those circles make me wonder if I’ve blinded her.

Thoughts?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Now I’ve detected a bit of a wheeze. How could she get a respitory issue in a fridge?

Vet appointment made but can’t get in until Wednesday. Hopefully there will be a cancellation tomorrow.

So worried. :(

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
How could she get a respitory issue in a fridge?
They can always get RI and according to statistics in German forums hibernation in a fridge seems to be the most risky method for tortoises. :(
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you; our vet worked us in today.

She’s still drinking; no discharge of any kind. But not interested in anything other than sleeping.

@WithLisa, where can I find this forum?*

*Even if it’s in German.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A mild respiratory infection. The vet says our home care might have been all she needed to get back on her feet but prescribed some antibiotic injections.

Grateful to have the resources on this forum and access to a good reptile vet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I'm glad to hear this, hope she gets well soon! :)

Thank you! My husbnd is going to have to learn how to do an injection via YouTube as he is coming home from work travel just after I leave tomorrow. But no worries, I found a video Yvonne posted.

She’ll probably be better off without me checking on her constantly anyway. “I just want to sleep, lady! Go away.”

It’s interesting how we are reasonable pet owners with our mammals but a complete mess with this reptile, as she is our first and only. Our vet should receive combat pay. :)