out of hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
We had a 60F day today & 2 of my adult marginatas have awaken. Its only 2 weeks ahead of their usual wake up time.

All of my Russians are still asleep.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Cool!

How do they act when they first wake up? Hungry? Cranky? Bad breath? ;)

Maybe it means that spring is coming early this year. :D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Off topic - but two of my Hermann's came up yesterday too.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Wow, I'm really glad we(Californians ) had a short and warm winter. I think the lowest it was getting was in the low50s were I live:D

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi Stephanie,
Basically they just sit around in the day, & co back in the hide at night. They have mallow growing in the greenhouse, & water. but aren't touching either one right now.

To All,
It would help if more people put their location in their signature file.so much of what we discuss has to do with climate.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sounds like my teenagers. :cool:

Are you sure they're awake yet? ;)

Seriously, I am curious how long it takes the tortoises to get back into hungry mode. :p

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
It all depends on the weather, I'm guessing it will be a couple weeks before the boys start getting frisky.
I don't expect them to get too active until I see a few more waking up, these two are just the early birds. Some of the males that wake up later will probably be ready for business within days of the time I see them.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You've bred marginateds... do they do much damage to each other when they do?

I'll be willing to bet you corresponded with a doctor in AZ who bred them for years and he had horrid stories.

GBtortoises said:
It will be 60 degrees here too--in about 2 months! It's 18 degrees right now.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
I have 2 males, & 5 females. The males have never done any damage to the females. They are a lot better behaved than my russians.

My Russians are a different story. I've had females with large chunks of flesh missing on their legs.

-EJ said:
[/quote]

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I was asking GB but if you've bred Marginateds...

How big are your tortoises? Can you describe their breeding behavior and how do you keep them?

KQ6AR said:
Hi,
I have 2 males, & 5 females. The males have never done any damage to the females. They are a lot better behaved than my russians.

My Russians are a different story. I've had females with large chunks of flesh missing on their legs.

-EJ said:
[/quote]

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My experience has been that compared to other Northern Mediterranean species and Russians, Marginateds are fairly unaggressive breeders. I've seen very little courting activity. Never much ramming, in some cases none. Very little biting as long as the female if receptive. I have seen a few times where a female won't submit right away and the male becomes more aggressive the longer he follows her. In those few cases the male begins very aggresively biting at the females feet. I have one female that is missing most of her claws and some scales on both front feet because of this aggression. But that has not been the normal case.

I used to keep males of all species seperate from females except for a couple of weeks in the spring, mid summer and early fall for breeding. Because of not having enough space to do so, I have for the last few years kept the sexes together 24/7. In doing so I've also noticed a drop in successful breeding too. The plan is to build about a half dozen more enclosures this spring so I will hopefully go back to keeping them seperate msot of the time. Indoors before hibernation I have also been keeping them together which I would prefer not to do. I'm hoping by next year to not do that either.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
From reports from keepers in past years, Marginateds kept outdoors 24/7/365 are damaging aggressive.

GB, have you read any of these notes?

GBtortoises said:
My experience has been that compared to other Northern Mediterranean species and Russians, Marginateds are fairly unaggressive breeders. I've seen very little courting activity. Never much ramming, in some cases none. Very little biting as long as the female if receptive. I have seen a few times where a female won't submit right away and the male becomes more aggressive the longer he follows her. In those few cases the male begins very aggresively biting at the females feet. I have one female that is missing most of her claws and some scales on both front feet because of this aggression. But that has not been the normal case.

I used to keep males of all species seperate from females except for a couple of weeks in the spring, mid summer and early fall for breeding. Because of not having enough space to do so, I have for the last few years kept the sexes together 24/7. In doing so I've also noticed a drop in successful breeding too. The plan is to build about a half dozen more enclosures this spring so I will hopefully go back to keeping them seperate msot of the time. Indoors before hibernation I have also been keeping them together which I would prefer not to do. I'm hoping by next year to not do that either.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
No I haven't.

But mine also aren't kept outdoors year round and up until very recently males and females weren't kept together (and won't be in the future). As I said, I have seen aggression with mine, but I am comparing them with the levels of breeding aggression of the other species that I keep. By that comparison the Marginateds are mild mannered.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
Mine are outdoors 12 months a year, & hibernate in the winter. They are young adults about 9".
The area where they live is large about 40' x 15'. I intend to move them to a larger are, where my WC russian group was living. This will give them, & my second generation russian group more room. I have a lot of large plants & hides in the area, which helps the females get away.

Maybe I've been lucky so far.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Mine, when outdoors are for now anyway, in a much smaller area, two groups, each in seperate 16' x 16' enclosure. Fairly well planted, along with other obstacles (rocks, logs, small dirt mounds). Along with those obstacles is also a couple of daytime hides (buried plastic tunnels) and a 3' x 3' sleeping quarters and 3' x 5' greenhouse. I think it's very important to provide several areas for the females to escape a males aggressive advances with all Testudo species.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Just wanted to report, 1/2 of the Marginatas are awake. They have started eating, & mating.

VICtort

5 Year Member
KQ6AR said:
We had a 60F day today & 2 of my adult marginatas have awaken. Its only 2 weeks ahead of their usual wake up time.

All of my Russians are still asleep.

Down here in the Imperial Valley, which is low desert the days are in the mid-70's and the nights in the 50's. My tortoises have been up and around for couple of weeks, a few are still sleeping (some of the Greek's). The male mariginata were the first to awaken, and they are frustrated and acting out their amorous fantasies to no avail on each other.

Russians are wide awake and eating like pigs, breeding or at least trying to and enjoying our relatively mild spring here, enjoying the abundant food from the damp areas soon to dry out. Good luck to everyone and although you may be wishing for spring, I will soon be wishing for cooler days and my herd will aestivate for the summer. Sping is a busy and active time for the herd. Vic H.

Status
Not open for further replies.