Out of The Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So I wanted to do a quick follow up to last week's update about my redfoot Jerry Lee and his ongoing URI. He has finally turned the FULL corner...the suggested baby food & Pediolyte soaks are magical!! Jerry is getting stronger everyday and this morning ate an entire food bowl of springmix and strawberries. This weeked he will be going outside during the day with Mildred (different enclosures of course) and he will be moving out of his little hospital tank into bigger digs. Anyway, thanks again to all you amazing turtle people who not only saved my baby, but my sanity as well!!

Have a great Monday!!!

~Roxanne

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Yay! It is always so great when they get better! When I took my baby to the vet and told him I was soaking him in baby food mixed with water, he thought I was nuts... I wonder why vets don't know about this and/or recommend it to clients! It works better than any vitamin shot they always recommend.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
CourtneyAndCarl said:
Yay! It is always so great when they get better! When I took my baby to the vet and told him I was soaking him in baby food mixed with water, he thought I was nuts... I wonder why vets don't know about this and/or recommend it to clients! It works better than any vitamin shot they always recommend.

Thank you -and what I have also learned is I got more detailed, knowegable information from this forum than I did at the vet's office. :D
(people also tend to respond quicker via the forum than the vet did as well!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's because we have hands-on experience with turtles and tortoises, and most vets, unless they have their own chelonians, only have the medical type book education.

If you look it up, you'll read that tortoises don't absorb fluids through their skin or through their cloaca (however some water turtles do), but my experience has been that they (especially babies) do absorb...if not fluid, at least the nutrients in the fluid, through the thin skin under the neck and AROUND (not through) the cloaca. If you soak them daily religiously, you will see an improvement in three days.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
It's because we have hands-on experience with turtles and tortoises, and most vets, unless they have their own chelonians, only have the medical type book education.

If you look it up, you'll read that tortoises don't absorb fluids through their skin or through their cloaca (however some water turtles do), but my experience has been that they (especially babies) do absorb...if not fluid, at least the nutrients in the fluid, through the thin skin under the neck and AROUND (not through) the cloaca. If you soak them daily religiously, you will see an improvement in three days.

Well and many thanks to you, as it was your suggestion to begin with-its amazing how quickly it helped. My little niece rescued an Ornate Boxie off of Craigslist not too long ago that was living in a tub with dirt and rocks-poor thing was in horrible shape-but a few soakings later he is eating like a champ! You are awesome Yvonne! :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Out of The Woods

MildredsMommy said:
Yvonne G said:

Well and many thanks to you, as it was your suggestion to begin with-its amazing how quickly it helped. My little niece rescued an Ornate Boxie off of Craigslist not too long ago that was living in a tub with dirt and rocks-poor thing was in horrible shape-but a few soakings later he is eating like a champ! You are awesome Yvonne! :)

I second that.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.