Out with the old, in with the new.

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
hopefully he doesn't throw any temper tantrums in the new enclosure and break anything :D
Lol, I had forgotten all about that. Hopefully he gets all his attitude out before he's big enough to smash my shin.[emoji16]

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I made the mistake of mowing Vlad's outdoor enclosure while he was outside and could see what was going on. I went inside for a few minutes, and when I came back out he was in an unmowed section furiously biting clumps of grass as if to say "I told you I was going to get to it, you didn't need to get the mower out!"

I swear he was annoyed with me for the next day or so. :D

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I made the mistake of mowing Vlad's outdoor enclosure while he was outside and could see what was going on. I went inside for a few minutes, and when I came back out he was in an unmowed section furiously biting clumps of grass as if to say "I told you I was going to get to it, you didn't need to get the mower out!"

That is too funny. When Sheldon is annoyed of me, he just likes to pee on me.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
That is too funny. When Sheldon is annoyed of me, he just likes to pee on me.
I remember that thread too :D

I didn't want to hijack the Walker thread, but

Definitely, I kind of shot myself in the foot with his newest enclosure. He will definitely get some use out of it, but in hindsight... I should have gone way way way bigger.

live and learn - this way you have an excuse to rescue a little russian or something to move in once Sheldon graduates to his next residence.

For me, it was when he started to outgrow the third enclosure I'd gotten him in 9 months (went from 50 gallon to 110 gallon to 300 gallon stock tanks) that I realized I had to go as big as possible and be done with it. If he outgrows his new indoor home, it'll be time to move outside full time except for extreme conditions, where the indoor setup will serve as a backup since it will be easier to monitor temps.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I remember that thread too :D

I didn't want to hijack the Walker thread, but

live and learn - this way you have an excuse to rescue a little russian or something to move in once Sheldon graduates to his next residence.

For me, it was when he started to outgrow the third enclosure I'd gotten him in 9 months (went from 50 gallon to 110 gallon to 300 gallon stock tanks) that I realized I had to go as big as possible and be done with it. If he outgrows his new indoor home, it'll be time to move outside full time except for extreme conditions, where the indoor setup will serve as a backup since it will be easier to monitor temps.
With sulcatas, bigger is better LOL.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How big are the spare rooms you're thinking about using for v2.0? I'm sure you'll learn a lot from this build that will make your second one even better.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
How big are the spare rooms you're thinking about using for v2.0? I'm sure you'll learn a lot from this build that will make your second one even better.
Hey sorry for the delayed response, I ended up getting called in early to work again. That's okay though because Sheldon likes to spend my money lol. I honestly don't know the dimensions off hand, but that is a good question. I'll get out the tape measure tomorrow, because now I'm curious as well. I definitely only want to have one more enclosure in between his current, and needing a big heated shed. So definitely bigger the better.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

[emoji23] [emoji23]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It's not going too bad. It's our first time doing anything like this, so a few tweaks are definitely in order. The doors on the right side have swelled, and are a tad difficult to open. Going to fix that this weekend. The paint has been holding up great to the moisture, I have seen a couple flakes sitting on the substrate from Sheldon clunking his shell into it. Been trying to pick them up as I see them. Been doing 12-hour days, so it hasn't left a whole lot of time for anything else. I did put a temporary hide in today. Just a waste basket buried halfway under the substrate. He has just enough room to turn around in it, but it is definitely better than nothing. And I will also improve it over the weekend with something larger.View attachment 243302View attachment 243303View attachment 243304

• Interesting that you also noted paint flaking and being rubbed off at the shell line... i had that issue too with my enclosure. I ended up using some old floor tiles that we had laying about and was able to place one 12 inch layer all around the lower perimeter. Half buried in the substrate. This worked so well, never had any other issues with paint getting rubbed off.
  • Good job on the hide...they like cozy hides...

Jay Bagley

Michigan
  • Interesting that you also noted paint flaking and being rubbed off at the shell line... i had that issue too with my enclosure. I ended up using some old floor tiles that we had laying about and was able to place one 12 inch layer all around the lower perimeter. Half buried in the substrate. This worked so well, never had any other issues with paint getting rubbed off.
  • Good job on the hide...they like cozy hides...
Thank you, I really like your idea of using the floor tiles. Looks like I have another mini project. [emoji4]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You could also use what i did - one of those garden runner borders. The green border i have in my enclosure. Probably cheaper than tile.
You guys have such good ideas!! Sheldon is lucky to have you guys.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I know Sheldon 's last name is Bagley, but just curious, is his middle name Cooper? :D