Outdoor bath/ soak diy

Lulabee247

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi all, so I’m getting a new house with a garden for my baby and I’m wondering how I can make an outdoor bath for her that I can easily change the water daily and also how to keep it warm too ? Does anyone use heat mats under the bath or tub and how would I make this myself. Can’t find any ideas other than a plastic dog bed but how can you keep the water warm / tepid enough to last all day ? Lula is a 7 year old marginated who will be going to live mostly outside first time this year
Seen some fab outdoor enclosure ideas and can’t wait to get started

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm assuming you are in Britain? It is not necessary to keep the water warm all day. When tortoises SOAK in their 'drinking' water it cools off naturally. I use a trash can lid for my bigger torts and a paint roller pan for the smaller torts. My box turtles have a pond that would be impossible to heat, they get use to the cooler water. Also I wonder why your British tortoises need a 'bath' everyday all day.? They really that dirty? I simply donot understand..... The need to SOAK, normally they drink almost immediately then leave the water...

Lulabee247

Durham
I'm assuming you are in Britain? It is not necessary to keep the water warm all day. When tortoises SOAK in their 'drinking' water it cools off naturally. I use a trash can lid for my bigger torts and a paint roller pan for the smaller torts. My box turtles have a pond that would be impossible to heat, they get use to the cooler water. Also I wonder why your British tortoises need a 'bath' everyday all day.? They really that dirty? I simply donot understand..... The need to SOAK, normally they drink almost immediately then leave the water...
Haha no I guess she does t NEED to soak every day I guess I would just like to give her fresh water to drink or soak whenever she wanted to that’s all. And when I soak her indoors as I have been doing, the water is usually just a little warmer than it would be outside so was just wondering that’s all. I guess I’m overthinking then ? It makes my diy project much easier to be honest. Thanks for your reply

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live in Oregon where it freezes and snows, so my tortoises are stuck in the shed for weeks at a time and I believe my shed is almost large enuf for the walking and pacing they do. Tortoises need to walk for aid in digestion, miles daily. They cannot walk around in the space you are showing. Lack of walking can lead to constipation. They need to walk....this is my tort shed...and a couple of pens...
Haha no I guess she does t NEED to soak every day I guess I would just like to give her fresh water to drink or soak whenever she wanted to that’s all. And when I soak her indoors as I have been doing, the water is usually just a little warmer than it would be outside so was just wondering that’s all. I guess I’m overthinking then ? It makes my diy project much easier to be honest. Thanks for your reply
Yes it need to SOAK daily...sorry, it's a small irritation, why do British tortoises need to bathe daily? They that dirty? American tortoises need to soak....my have never bathed...
100_0087.JPG
my box turtles are outside daily when weather permits, they love to swim100_0126.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An adult does not need to soak daily unless it's unusually hot. You can dig a pond and pour cement to line it. Use a garbage can lid as Maggie mentioned or you can use most anything that she can get easily in and out of. You should give a water bowl separate from a soaking space. This way you can give fresh water easily daily or several times a day if needed. Then fill the soaking area daily if you want or a couple times a week.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I use 2 extra large (18" diameter) plastic plant pot saucers. The reason I use 2 is that way I can sink them well into the ground and when I remove the TOP one to rinse it out, the BOTTOM one stays there and holds the soil in place. Otherwise you end up having to sort of re-bury it every time. This way, I can keep the top one clean and refill the water regularly with ease.

As for keeping it warm, I don't try. Beasley, who is a redfoot, is only out in Spring/Summer/Fall, which around here is warm and perfect for her species. If the water is cool, that's a great way for her to cool off on a hot day--that is what torts do in the wild. :) I get that you are in the UK and probably have a Med tort, but the same thing applies and your tort is more tolerant of temp changes than mine. As long as it's warm enough for your tort to be outside, I would say that normal temp water is fine. If the night was colder, maybe put in warm water to start, but I don't think there is any reason to try to keep it warm, and I don't think there is a practical way to do so anyway.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 4

Lulabee247

Durham
Aw wow yes great idea thankyou. I will do that as you say it’s easier to take the top one off to keep clean. Yes the uk isn’t quite warm enough yet and she knows it’s coming cos she keeps going to the back door to make me feel guilty 🤣
Thanks for the photos, looks great. Can’t wait to give her her first outdoor enclosure. It’s been a long time coming.