Outdoor bedtime house in outdoor enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't see what it is unless I change my account to the UK.
You want something that you can lock up and wild animals can't get into. It also should be enclosed where the rain can't get into.
This would only be for summer right?

Mark C

UK
Yep exactly it's inside a secure outdoor enclosure and for UK summer nights only

Mark C

UK
It's made of treated plywood and fir wood with a green asphalt roof

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I was able to see the photo of your item. It's a brown wood "hutch" with a locking door.

I see no problem with this if you have a tortoise that doesn't need night heat. If you have a Mediterranean species and this is being used as the way of keeping your tort safe from predators at night, then yes. I think it will serve that purpose.

If you have a species that needs a heated night box, like a leopard or a sulcata, then no. This lacks the insulation needed to make it effective. That's not to say that this couldn't be altered though. You could add insulation and interior walls but by the time you do that, you loose valuable space and incur additional expenses.

Mark C

UK
I was able to see the photo of your item. It's a brown wood "hutch" with a locking door.

I see no problem with this if you have a tortoise that doesn't need night heat. If you have a Mediterranean species and this is being used as the way of keeping your tort safe from predators at night, then yes. I think it will serve that purpose.

If you have a species that needs a heated night box, like a leopard or a sulcata, then no. This lacks the insulation needed to make it effective. That's not to say that this couldn't be altered though. You could add insulation and interior walls but by the time you do that, you loose valuable space and incur additional expenses.
Fantastic it's for a Mediterranean and just for outdoors April to September in the UK within a secure outdoor enclosure.

Mark C

UK
What species is it for, Hermann's, Greek or Russian? Then should work.
Hi yes it's a Mediterranean marginated and we also have a separate pen for two horsfield russian tortoises. The pens are 6x4ft and 7x4ft with a mix of grass, tortoise friendly plants and flat stones and pebbles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi yes it's a Mediterranean marginated and we also have a separate pen for two horsfield russian tortoises. The pens are 6x4ft and 7x4ft with a mix of grass, tortoise friendly plants and flat stones and pebbles.
May I offer some help?

Rather than buy that hutch with is too tall, has too large of a door, and is not designed for a tortoise, you would be MUCH better off with a heated and insulated night box. This will allow you to get them outside earlier in spring and stay out later into fall. It is explained and there are pics here:

It is discussed more here:

Those outdoor pens should be at least triple that size, and more would be better.

Tortoises should never be housed as pairs, and Russians are one of the worst for being scrappy. They might seem fine some of the time but they aren't. Here is one example of what usually happens:

My purpose is not to upset you or argue. My only intention is to help you avoid common pitfalls and disasters that I myself, and many others, have experienced in the past.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I had something similar (with more appropriate proportions and very low to the ground) made for me by a guy who makes dog houses. The top latches and swings up for cleaning or Beasley removal and the front door folds down into a ramp (and latches). It is extremely solidly made and is raccoon and rat-proof. If you want heat, etc. you would need to plan for that, but as my tortoise is a tropical species she cannot be outside anyway unless temps are optimal. I plan to use this for night time during the summer, as bringing her inside all the time is inconvenient at our new place.

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Mark C

UK
May I offer some help?

Rather than buy that hutch with is too tall, has too large of a door, and is not designed for a tortoise, you would be MUCH better off with a heated and insulated night box. This will allow you to get them outside earlier in spring and stay out later into fall. It is explained and there are pics here:

It is discussed more here:

Those outdoor pens should be at least triple that size, and more would be better.

Tortoises should never be housed as pairs, and Russians are one of the worst for being scrappy. They might seem fine some of the time but they aren't. Here is one example of what usually happens:

My purpose is not to upset you or argue. My only intention is to help you avoid common pitfalls and disasters that I myself, and many others, have experienced in the past.
Thanks Tom that's really useful and we'll
certainly take that on board. We're getting a third enclosure to separate the horsfield pair as we're noticing some aggressive behaviour from the female towards the smaller male.

Reactions: Tom