Outdoor CDT Habitat ~ pretty close to finished

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm very proud to share my pretty close to done habitat for my two beloved CDTs, Stillwater and Scout. I have been designing this space in my head for a few years, but finally got moving on it about a year ago. Who knew it would involve so many moving parts?? When my husband came out to see the almost finished project a few months ago, he joked I wasn't allowed to be left unsupervised anymore. ;) He actually really loves it too, of course.

I wish I could say I did all the manual labor myself, as that's usually my speed, but I really only have an hour or two to get things done while my sons take naps, so I enlisted the help of my friend, and gardener and few of his guys who work for him. It ended up being a ton of work, so I was happy to have their help. Now that it's close to done, I am loving it even more than I imagined. I go out and spend a good portion of my spare time there, fussing and picking up stray leaves, my boys love hanging out and petting and shadowing the tortoises.

So, here's the rundown:
First, we trenched out the entire perimeter, and buried 18" bricks within the trench. Then a ton of dirt had to be removed, since nothing had really been in this space before. It was mostly left over piles of gravel.

Next, we built the walls out of recycled broken concrete from a neighbor's backyard demo. Thank goodness my gardener will meet me anywhere, anytime with his trailer. Between my friend the gardener, my hubby, and another friend visiting from Santa Cruz, it only took about an hour to collect it all and unload it at our house. The wall is held together with concrete, to prevent it from falling over, especially since my boys like to walk on it for fun. The straight back parts of the fencing, I used new railroad ties, stacked three tall.

Then, I dropped a pond liner in for the tortoise pond (as we call it), and ran a solar filter, for continuous water circulation. It's a bit green right now, so any recommendations for how to help with that are welcome. I will probably post a separate question for that specifically.

We added DG to half of the space, and then the rest os organic soil, where I have planted, a couple different types of sage, a blue hibiscus, roses, rosemary, lots of pansies, kale, mustard greens, clover (which is still coming up from seeds), nasturtiums (some I just planted, and some are coming up from seeds), and I still need to plant some Bermuda grass in a few areas under the trees. All the major plants are on a drip system, but I seem to water and top off the Tortoise pond every few days.

Their house is a dog house, painted, and I added a door with a latch, because we have huge "ROUS"es (Rodents of Unusual Size), I mean, Raccoons, that wander our neighborhood at night. They get locked up every evening. I added the coconut fiber substrate, several inches deep, into their house and put a ton of orchard grass on top for good measure. The roof lifts up so we can peek in on them, if we need to.

I may add a sun shade over the area behind the shed, where the pond is, just for added protection from birds, as my little guy, is still kind of little, and many of the plants are still relatively small.

IMG_0754.JPG
image2.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice job! (and your little boy is so cute!!)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Love it!! You should be very proud of yourself!! You have given me some ideas!

I'm not sure who's cuter:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Lovely!!!! I'm working on something similar in my back yard. Love the way you did the pond. Your little boy is precious!

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Southern California
Nicely done.
To answer just one of your questions/issues...Plants and shade will stop most of the green water. Algae wont grow if there isn't a lot of light.

Thank you! I will figure out how to create more shade there. And do you mean plants in the water, will help with algae?
I really appreciate your advice!

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Southern California
Love it!! You should be very proud of yourself!! You have given me some ideas!

I'm not sure who's cuter:)
Thank you so much! I'm so excited I could share some new ideas with you! I did a lot of research, and took my favorite parts of the different habitats I came across. And thanks for the kinds words about my dudes. The are pretty sweet together ;)

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Southern California
Lovely!!!! I'm working on something similar in my back yard. Love the way you did the pond. Your little boy is precious!
Thank you! Isn't it so fun to create these types of spaces? I definitely feel like the pond is still a work in progress... And thank you for the kind words about my little man. He's such a sweet gentle soul. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm very proud to share my pretty close to done habitat for my two beloved CDTs, Stillwater and Scout. I have been designing this space in my head for a few years, but finally got moving on it about a year ago. Who knew it would involve so many moving parts?? When my husband came out to see the almost finished project a few months ago, he joked I wasn't allowed to be left unsupervised anymore. ;) He actually really loves it too, of course.

I wish I could say I did all the manual labor myself, as that's usually my speed, but I really only have an hour or two to get things done while my sons take naps, so I enlisted the help of my friend, and gardener and few of his guys who work for him. It ended up being a ton of work, so I was happy to have their help. Now that it's close to done, I am loving it even more than I imagined. I go out and spend a good portion of my spare time there, fussing and picking up stray leaves, my boys love hanging out and petting and shadowing the tortoises.

So, here's the rundown:
First, we trenched out the entire perimeter, and buried 18" bricks within the trench. Then a ton of dirt had to be removed, since nothing had really been in this space before. It was mostly left over piles of gravel.

Next, we built the walls out of recycled broken concrete from a neighbor's backyard demo. Thank goodness my gardener will meet me anywhere, anytime with his trailer. Between my friend the gardener, my hubby, and another friend visiting from Santa Cruz, it only took about an hour to collect it all and unload it at our house. The wall is held together with concrete, to prevent it from falling over, especially since my boys like to walk on it for fun. The straight back parts of the fencing, I used new railroad ties, stacked three tall.

Then, I dropped a pond liner in for the tortoise pond (as we call it), and ran a solar filter, for continuous water circulation. It's a bit green right now, so any recommendations for how to help with that are welcome. I will probably post a separate question for that specifically.

We added DG to half of the space, and then the rest os organic soil, where I have planted, a couple different types of sage, a blue hibiscus, roses, rosemary, lots of pansies, kale, mustard greens, clover (which is still coming up from seeds), nasturtiums (some I just planted, and some are coming up from seeds), and I still need to plant some Bermuda grass in a few areas under the trees. All the major plants are on a drip system, but I seem to water and top off the Tortoise pond every few days.

Their house is a dog house, painted, and I added a door with a latch, because we have huge "ROUS"es (Rodents of Unusual Size), I mean, Raccoons, that wander our neighborhood at night. They get locked up every evening. I added the coconut fiber substrate, several inches deep, into their house and put a ton of orchard grass on top for good measure. The roof lifts up so we can peek in on them, if we need to.

I may add a sun shade over the area behind the shed, where the pond is, just for added protection from birds, as my little guy, is still kind of little, and many of the plants are still relatively small.

View attachment 166729
View attachment 166732 View attachment 166731

Fantastic...may I also mention, raccoons can open latches...maybe the addition of a clip to secure the latch?? I only suggest because you confirm they are in your area ...

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Southern California
Fantastic...may I also mention, raccoons can open latches...maybe the addition of a clip to secure the latch?? I only suggest because you confirm they are in your area ...

Yes, I agree! I was thinking I should add a clip too, as well as secure the lid to their house, as it can lift up easily, despite having some weight to it. I figure if my just-turned-two year old, can open it, I should assume that a 40-pound raccoon could do the same. The ones we have in the neighborhood are huge! I've come home late at night to three big guys just hanging out on my front lawn. They had to be close to forty or fifty pounds.

I actually bought clips and additional hardware when I put the house together, specifically because of the raccoon threat, but have been slow to add them. I'll plan to add them today, before it starts raining.

Thanks for giving me the push to get that done.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Your little tortoise keeper is precious!
Your habitat is da bomb ... really wonderful! The pics will inspire others! Great job!
Eeeek!
Love raccoons, but about a year ago or so, Dr.Greek in our area shared what harm they do to unprotected tortoises, mostly at night, so please-please-please over secure them without fail every single night. The pics stayed in my head. They were awful.